Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• While I appreciate that there are going to be a number of people in this thread who don't appreciate Jordan Peterson, I think this video from him might be an exception that hits all the right notes:

<space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • swiller said:
    He's attempting to play "Little Wing Nut"
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I hear Wichita Lineman one more time today, the radio is going in the recycling! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19627
    edited September 2022
    swiller said:
    He's attempting to play "Little Wing Nut"
    Thought it would be a Queen tune at least.
    "Another one bites the dust".
    "I want it all".
    Hopefully not "Tie Your Mother Down"  or "Who Wants to Live Forever"...

* This isn't meant seriously people... douse those torches, put the forks down & walk away.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5716
    You have to laugh at idiot journalists. Headline in today's paper:

"Big changes coming to Oz after Queen's death"

Really? Big changes? WTF are they talking about?

<click click>

Oh. Yer right. The "big" changes amount to:

* Different head on the 50c coin.
    * The Queen's Birthday long weekend holiday in June will be replaced by ... wait for it ... a long weekend holiday in June called "King's Birthday".
    * (Some states only) Very expensive lawyers will be called KCs, not QCs. (But only in the one or two states which still have QCs/KCs - other states have SCs - "S" standing for "senior".)
    * Some new portraits hanging on walls in those government offices which still bother.

Well, it was a Murdoch rag. What did I expect?

PS: And they are certified ignoramuses, getting stuff wrong that even I know. The writer apparently had no clue that most states have SCs, not QCs. (That will be a Sydney thing. People living in Sydney have no idea that 80% of Australians live somewhere else. They get up everyone's nose.)  Even sillier, some moron created an illustration of the King's head on a coin facing the wrong way.

Did I say it was a Murdoch rag?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only watched Netflix and been on here so I wouldn't have even known about it if it wasn't for these threads.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    edited September 2022
    If I hear Wichita Lineman one more time today, the radio is going in the recycling! 
    I’ve had to get up early to take my son to a university tour, and my planet rock alarm call was playing fu’in sombre violin music!
    There’s a lot of companies I won’t be using due to their over reaction to this.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5472
    Tannin said:

Even sillier, some moron created an illustration of the King's head on a coin facing the wrong way.

Which way was the wrong way? Charles will look the opposite way to Liz - they flip the direction with each change of monarch. 

Doesn't invalidate your other points, but they might be right on that one (50% chance).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5716
    Ahh, I thought someone would try to trip me up on that one. :) No. I said they got it wrong because they got it wrong. 

(Be aware that there was never a 50% chance of a News Limited hack being right while I was wrong.)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24782
    In other news, the Bank of England has postponed it's decision on interest rates because of the death of the Queen.

Because nothing says "I care" more than announcing you're delaying a key part of fiscal policy decisions.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    In other news, the Bank of England has postponed it's decision on interest rates because of the death of the Queen.

Because nothing says "I care" more than announcing you're delaying a key part of fiscal policy decisions.
    As you’re all in enforced mourning we’ll delay telling you your screwed until later in the week…..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    Emp_Fab said:

Alternatively ...

BoE meets the day after the Queen's death, and announces the increase in base rates from 1.75% to 3.5%.

Popular press & SM outcry that the Government* is using the Queen's death to bury bad news.

*Yes, I realise that the BoE isn't "the Government", but when did fact stop press/SM outrage?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited September 2022
    Even the service station hand sanitizer is in mourning FFS……

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5472
    Tannin said:
    Ahh, I thought someone would try to trip me up on that one. :) No. I said they got it wrong because they got it wrong. 

(Be aware that there was never a 50% chance of a News Limited hack being right while I was wrong.)

I wasn't trying to trip you up, just clarifying.
  • swiller said:
    The artist formerly known as Prince?
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Whatever you thought about Elizabeth or her position she was pretty much the most famous and recognisable person in the world who engendered a lot of love, respect and loyalty. Much of that won't be carried forward to Charles and beyond. We have a government that has run down the international standing of the UK for the last few years and the passing of Elizabeth throws what's left off a cliff. Yes this could be the start of a welcome reform of the monarchy but I doubt it. Meanwhile Truss's cabinet of buffoons start to dismantle the BBC another source of soft power for the UK. 

Those pictures of the queen at Philip's funeral make me sad. And angry. A reminder of my mother's death and her funeral under Covid restrictions. Whilst Johnson partied. The nation mourns the woman he lied to. I think people should remember that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12669
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Alternatively ...

BoE meets the day after the Queen's death, and announces the increase in base rates from 1.75% to 3.5%.

Popular press & SM outcry that the Government* is using the Queen's death to bury bad news.

*Yes, I realise that the BoE isn't "the Government", but when did fact stop press/SM outrage?
    We could sell off some of the many houses of ours that her family “owns”
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12476
    I'm bored of this constant media coverage now, it's not a bloody competition for who is the saddest.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    munckee said:
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Alternatively ...

We could sell off some of the many houses of ours that her family “owns”
    If we'd done that  anytime in the last 10years, they'd all be owned by Russians now
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    Playing authentic... 
    Unlike that massive cunt Johnson.
     Campfire Music and Sing-alongs
    He won't get very far fretting behind the capo.  A fitting metaphor for his tenure of Number 10.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom