Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkb said:
    I get that a lot of people aren't that into the monarchy and I myself am not totally sold on the institution.

Surely surprise at the blanket coverage, cancellations etc is deeply disingenuous though... I mean... she was the Queen for 70 years.

Just because one doesn't personally care does not mean the media should reduce its importance to a story about Kylie jenner breaking a nail to avoid frustrating you personally?
    Ed, you are perfectly aware that there is a difference between reporting it properly on the main news channels (which I agree with) vs making it the only news being reported and the only thing being mentioned in the media. They put it at the top of the BBC sports page just in case you missed it on the main page- did they cancel CBBC to make sure the toddlers were aware?!?

this morning the first 23 stories on the bbc website are about the event…

I get that it causes frustration, on some personal level I agree with you.  I whacked Virgin Anthems on in the car just now and they were basically covering it, and had clearly toned down their playlist and coverage.  I'm guessing Sex Pistols not being played much this weekend...

However especially the Beeb would be utterly ripped to shreds if they did anything other than blanket coverage.  They are desperately struggling for survival at the minute with a government trying to finish them off... I couldn't honestly make another decision if I was in charge.

I get the sentiment, I certainly would see a future monarchy at least slimmed down, but I'm not remotely surprised at the coverage and cancellations, that's my point really.

I'm not about to go and hang off the railings at Buck Palace this weekend, let's put it that way.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    edited September 2022
    Very busy at our gig last night.. it was not mentioned, no minutes silence, people drinking, dancing, singing and having fun… easy to avoid… if venue does not cancel.
    They done a one minutes silence at our gig last night. I found it weird tbh.

Greene King cancelled all their live shows but kept the pubs open. They didn't really advertise that so I guess they still got the punters there but didn't have to pay any bands. A more cynical person may feel that was a bit suspicious.

A friend said he went in to one and the fruit machines were off and there was no music playing at all. 

At first people are shocked, and many liked the Queen, I understand this. But it will not take long for people to get fed up with being to forced to mourn. I expect that the conversations around the billions spent on the funeral will be particularly divisive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Just heard two young girls discussing the monarchy in a cafe. Word for word:

”I’m glad they’re all sad after what they did to Meghan.”

”They went after her right from the off, they just couldn’t stand an American Queen.”

Sounds like a lost Tom Petty song...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166

I certainly would see a future monarchy at least slimmed down,
    I think that’s already happened really.

Not seen Anne around for a while, Andrew has recused himself to focus on other interests, the younger one has never sought the attention, which only leaves C&C.  Never going to complain about seeing his DiL (with her husband in the background).  And Diana’s other son has buggered off to the US.

I remember the days when there were balconies full of them at every opportunity.  Nowadays you’d get them all in a black cab.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11604
    Charles and William do want to slim things down from what I have read.
  • Offset said:
    Playing authentic... 
    Unlike that massive cunt Johnson.
     Campfire Music and Sing-alongs
    He won't get very far fretting behind the capo.  A fitting metaphor for his tenure of Number 10.
    I've always wondered if the cappo was deliberately put there with the sole intent of making him look like a twat.
  • Offset said:
    Playing authentic... 
    He won't get very far fretting behind the capo.  A fitting metaphor for his tenure of Number 10.
    I've always wondered if the cappo was deliberately put there with the sole intent of making him look like a twat.

Maybe it's tuned to an open chord so he can strum it and sound like it's him. 90% of people wouldn't notice the capo. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8222
    I'm bored of this constant media coverage now, it's not a bloody competition for who is the saddest.
    Yes it is.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    I don't think you could blame that on the capo.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    anyone know how Jeanette Charles is ?   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking like funeral and public holiday will be the 19th. 
    Been waiting three months for a part to be fitted to my van and it's booked in that morning. GAH! I'll be sat at home watching a funeral on TV instead. Which I won't enjoy but it is very much an historic moment that I would be churlish not to watch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    I don't remember having seen much of Anne in the last few days. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24782
    edited September 2022
    Hattigol said:
    I'm bored of this constant media coverage now, it's not a bloody competition for who is the saddest.
    Yes it is.
    Well, these ladies are clearly to be commended for their display of respect.  It makes mere black ties seem positively insulting.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I don't understand why Liz Truss hasn't been taken in for questioning by the police. She was after all the last person to see the Queen alive. I find that very suspicious.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2454
    While I appreciate that there are going to be a number of people in this thread who don't appreciate Jordan Peterson, I think this video from him might be an exception that hits all the right notes:

Sorry to be that guy, but he’s possibly the profoundest-sounding charlatan on the planet. As I've seen in other videos, he utters a hodgepodge of stuff without making a distinct or meaningful point – it sounds clever but it's mostly irrelevant. In this video, he doesn't answer the question nor does he say anything particularly remarkable either. But that's just my humble opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5716
    @beed84 I came to the same conclusion - and that was without even bothering to watch the video!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7382
    edited September 2022
    beed84 said:
    While I appreciate that there are going to be a number of people in this thread who don't appreciate Jordan Peterson, I think this video from him might be an exception that hits all the right notes:

Sorry to be that guy, but he’s possibly the profoundest-sounding charlatan on the planet. As I've seen in other videos, he utters a hodgepodge of stuff without making a distinct or meaningful point – it sounds clever but it's mostly irrelevant. In this video, he doesn't answer the question nor does he say anything particularly remarkable either. But that's just my humble opinion.
    I don’t know much about JP other than my daughter can’t stand him. I watched the video and shared it without realising @digitalscream had done the same - sorry !

What I liked was the warning on how easily things can get skewed with a republic / presidential system and how having a respected monarch helps keep a lid on the worst excesses of party politics (at least that’s how I saw it)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    edited September 2022
    Tannin said:
    @beed84 I came to the same conclusion - and that was without even bothering to watch the video!
    Unfortunately I had to watch one of his videos to realise this. Consider yourself spared from being exposed to this purposefully divisive, self promoting man. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    Offset said:
    Playing authentic... 
    It's just Ed Sheeran with a blonde rinse
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24782
    Tannin said:
    Unfortunately I had to watch one of his videos to realise this. Consider yourself spared from being exposed to this purposefully divisive, self promoting man. 
    I've watched many of his videos and I don't draw that conclusion.  I'm a leftie too.  I don't agree with everything he says but a lot of it is, in my opinion, the truth - unvarnished or adjusted for any particular audience.  I do find that he is frequently misunderstood by people who have a preformed opinion of him and are not willing to see past that and try to understand the points he is trying to make.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom