Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    I'm bored of this constant media coverage now, it's not a bloody competition for who is the saddest.
    I was bored within 10 minutes tbh, but then I've never been much into celeb culture. 

Her existence was of no more practical relevance to any of us than that of Kanye West, and yet the entire media has turned into something resembling Hello magazine, except with the addition of a vague threat to the non-compliant. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12669
    Just heard two young girls discussing the monarchy in a cafe. Word for word:

”I’m glad they’re all sad after what they did to Meghan.”

”They went after her right from the off, they just couldn’t stand an American Queen.”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    munckee said:

”They went after her right from the off, they just couldn’t stand an American Queen.”
    thank goodness they are still teaching constitutional affairs in school.

I worked with a young woman yesterday who was adamant that WIlliam should be King. I tried to explain to her that that's not how a monarchy works, but she just said she'd chose William...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Even the service station hand sanitizer is in mourning FFS……

Obviously, looks like the whole place has fallen over...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    edited September 2022
    munckee said:

Which represents the majority of the publics view - ie didn’t  care too much . It’s mainly the old school people that loved being ruled by the foreign Houses of monarchy, probably due to war stories and school visits to royal palaces when they were young.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    munckee said:
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    In other news, the Bank of England has postponed it's decision on interest rates because of the death of the Queen.

Because nothing says "I care" more than announcing you're delaying a key part of fiscal policy decisions.
    Alternatively ...

BoE meets the day after the Queen's death, and announces the increase in base rates from 1.75% to 3.5%.

Popular press & SM outcry that the Government* is using the Queen's death to bury bad news.

*Yes, I realise that the BoE isn't "the Government", but when did fact stop press/SM outrage?
    We could sell off some of the many houses of ours that her family “owns”
    If we'd done that  anytime in the last 10years, they'd all be owned by Russians now
    ;)
    Yes, indeed one of the big upsides of the monarchy owning all that property is that if they didn't we would have sold even more of the country to the Russians/Chinese/Arabs.
  • For a foreigner’s view on why the Queen was so important , give this a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5os9bT9zuo

• I get that a lot of people aren't that into the monarchy and I myself am not totally sold on the institution.

Surely surprise at the blanket coverage, cancellations etc is deeply disingenuous though... I mean... she was the Queen for 70 years.

Just because one doesn't personally care does not mean the media should reduce its importance to a story about Kylie jenner breaking a nail to avoid frustrating you personally?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12669
    I get that a lot of people aren't that into the monarchy and I myself am not totally sold on the institution.

Surely surprise at the blanket coverage, cancellations etc is deeply disingenuous though... I mean... she was the Queen for 70 years.

Just because one doesn't personally care does not mean the media should reduce its importance to a story about Kylie jenner breaking a nail to avoid frustrating you personally?
    Blanket media coverage and cancellation of everything for the passing of a monarch much of the country had no interest in is a slippery slope, before we know it people with machine guns will be making us line the streets waving flags…,
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2022
    I get that a lot of people aren't that into the monarchy and I myself am not totally sold on the institution.

Ed, you are perfectly aware that there is a difference between reporting it properly on the main news channels (which I agree with) vs making it the only news being reported and the only thing being mentioned in the media. They put it at the top of the BBC sports page just in case you missed it on the main page- did they cancel CBBC to make sure the toddlers were aware?!?

this morning the first 23 stories on the bbc website are about the event…

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Even the service station hand sanitizer is in mourning FFS……

Obviously, looks like the whole place has fallen over...
    Haha, that’s because my iPhone has decided to post portrait photos in landscape mode- I think it’s part of the London Bridge down protocol ;) I’ll put my tin foil hat on and see if that fixes it
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6211
    TTony said:

She was here for the long-term, evolving slowly with the world but a long way above its short-term vicissitudes, with a total dedication to the duties thrust upon her at whatever sacrifice to herself - and probably her family too.

A neat and accurate explanation of her life. Very well expressed, thank you.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    I'm saddened , I'm sombre and I respect the protocol and the mourning .I'm not preoccupied with it.
    Not because I'm especially Royalist but because it seems to mark the end of an era , It is a huge event and she was the best known Royal in the world and the most influential and respected .
    Like it or not it's a massively significant event Historically NOT politically
    I want to see,read,watch and hear some of the relevant detail of mourning ,funeral ,constitution and appointment of a King.
    That takes 2 pages of a Newspaper .
    What I don't want is another 22 pages of  padding and spin-off shite journalism   ' what make of Handbag the Queen always carried '......which Corgi she loved best.........how she dropped a piece of cheese at a picnic with Theresa May and which American President played cards with her.
    To me that dilutes and undignifies the coverage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6211
    p90fool said:
    Well whatever, King Charles might be a bit of an overprivileged chump himself, but personally I'm looking forward to a monarch who speaks out on environmental issues, on injustice, on the criminal actions of governments rather than the total passivity of what we've all grown up with. 

There's a good chance he'll tone it down a bit now, but given his already-known views it'll be fascinating to see how Downing Street plays it in terms of instructing the tabloids to tear apart a reigning British monarch. 

Interesting times ahead!
    There was talk a few years ago of the crown skipping a generation and passing to William. This was in the period during the fallout from Diana iirc. It seems most unlikely to happen now, but passing the crown to his son would allow Charles to continue his crusade for a greener future. As an elder statesman he might be listened to more attentively, now that many of his predictions made many years ago are coming true. Very unlikely to happen of course, unless the media decide to turn against him; but stranger things have happened.
  • Switch the TV off
  • Very busy at our gig last night.. it was not mentioned, no minutes silence, people drinking, dancing, singing and having fun… easy to avoid… if venue does not cancel.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692

Well put @darthed1981 - that's it in a nutshell.  If you have no interest in the proceedings, either switch channels (and there are plenty to choose from that aren't covering this), or switch off altogether.  Which is what I have done.

There are plenty of people for whom this is important, historic and interesting.  Just because I'm not one of them doesn't mean I'd wish to deprive them of the coverage.  It is in all probability a once-in-a-lifetime event for many.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Switch the TV off
    I did that years ago.
    I couldn't take the endless cookery, property and 'reality' shows'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    If there's one thing that should by now be blindingly obvious to the "he should give it to William" mob it's the notion of duty that so many have mentioned in recent days.

It's not some sort of X-Factor popularity contest. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    scrumhalf said:
    If there's one thing that should by now be blindingly obvious to the "he should give it to William" mob it's the notion of duty that so many have mentioned in recent days.

It's not some sort of X-Factor popularity contest. 
    Give it a couple of years and people’ll be complaining that it’s always a man who gets to be King ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom