Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19627
    edited September 2022
    Definitely a poison chalice (from the palace).
    Have thousands of police on overtime, holding hands & non royalist people fed up with not being able to eat or heat their homes will not unreasonably be pissed off.
    Don't have thousands of police in the streets & should something go wrong, all hell will break loose, led by the Daily Mail.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    I'm mostly pissed off that I have to work tomorrow. Fecking sick people and their appointments, no consideration for the barely working man!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2003
    Innane question for tomorrow from tele pundits - "How do you think the nation will be feeling today?"

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• BillDL said:
    When were truckers expected to go over their tacho time for the good of the nation?
    When there was a shortage of truckers if you remember.  They're still pressured to in many companies
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1362
    I watched some of the coverage this morning and found it all very undignified.
    Everyone in that queue wanted to be seen there.  You had ex police and forces people pinning their medals to their civilian clothes.  You had people lining up to explain why they thought they had to come, why they wanted to, and putting it as if this is the only way to "pay their respects".

The images from within the room are quite baffling, too.  Random bows, people just pausing, perhaps contemplating what they'll tell everyone it was like.

In the old days people* would turn out because of duty and deference.  There's a bit of dignity in that.  Now everyone wants everyone else to know they were there, and it's all very cringe.

*To those that couldn't give a toss if there was a camera and haven't told anyone that they were there, I apologise.  Perhaps the two of you would be good friends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    edited September 2022
    If anyone ever says the left are just virtue signalling, I will point them towards the Virtue Signalling World Cup which is happening now, where everyone who could would close their shops, their holiday parks, where if they could lower the beeps of their tills to the levels where only dogs could hear it they would, where even MacDonalds, who work their workers to the bone and produce their toys in countries with poor labour laws and don't normally give a shit, are trying to not be seen as being unpatriotic and bad.

The glorious, glorious realisation that EVERY ONE IS VIRTUE SIGNALLING should be pretty apparent now, and I hope that whoever wins the Virtue Signalling World Cup will retire the term and we can all move on. Until the Euros. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    If anyone ever says the left are just virtue signalling, I will point them towards the Virtue Signalling World Cup which is happening now, where everyone who could would close their shops, their holiday parks, where if they could lower the beeps of their tills to the levels where only dogs could hear it they would, where even MacDonalds, who work their workers to the bone and produce their toys in countries with poor labour laws and don't normally give a shit, are trying to not be seen as being unpatriotic and bad.

The glorious, glorious realisation that EVERY ONE IS VIRTUE SIGNALLING should be pretty apparent now, and I hope that whoever wins the Virtue Signalling World Cup will retire the term and we can all move on. Until the Euros. 
    Agreed, but to the vast majority or the UK populace, that will result in responses such as ...

"You iz a bad bad man. Are U like OK Hun. Hugz..." 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413

Agreed, but to the vast majority or the UK populace, that will result in responses such as ...

"You iz a bad bad man. Are U like OK Hun. Hugz..." 
    Am I bad? I dunno. I don't think so. Don't arrest me please. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    Its mainly a media event, it's certainly not "the vast majority".

Out of all my friends and colleagues who have mentioned the Queen at all I'd estimate that maybe 5% give a shit. 

Out here in real life land almost nobody is talking about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1641
    p90fool said:
    Its mainly a media event, it's certainly not "the vast majority".

Out of all my friends and colleagues who have mentioned the Queen at all I'd estimate that maybe 5% give a shit. 

Out here in real life land almost nobody is talking about it. 
    Never has the chasm between what the media tells us and what the majority of folk on the street actually believe been so wide. 

At least I hope that is true otherwise we really are well and truly fucked! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29304
    Not an original thought, but if we didn't have a royal family, and someone suggested we have one, you'd think they were insane. Bring a couple of entitled inbred weirdos over, give them billions of pounds of land and businesses, set them up in a dozen palaces and houses, and let them tweak the laws to their own advantage, let them pass everything on to their dysfunctional children without inheritance tax... That sounds like a great idea! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5716
    edited September 2022
    Sporky said:
    Not an original thought, but if we didn't have a royal family, and someone suggested we have one, you'd think they were insane. Bring a couple of entitled inbred weirdos over, give them billions of pounds of land and businesses, set them up in a dozen palaces and houses, and let them tweak the laws to their own advantage, let them pass everything on to their dysfunctional children without inheritance tax... That sounds like a great idea! 
    But we did. These days we call them "Kardashians".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread has taken some funny turns since it started, I'm pretty ambivalent on the monarchy but the memes are pretty funny regardless: 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7288
    Dunno about all these pipers. I'm having cottage pie with steamed cabbage and broccoli later, few glasses of red and a bit of live yoghurt for dessert. They'll be hearing my pipes I can tell you that.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If anyone ever says the left are just virtue signalling, I will point them towards the Virtue Signalling World Cup which is happening now, where everyone who could would close their shops, their holiday parks, where if they could lower the beeps of their tills to the levels where only dogs could hear it they would, where even MacDonalds, who work their workers to the bone and produce their toys in countries with poor labour laws and don't normally give a shit, are trying to not be seen as being unpatriotic and bad.

It’s cooomin home, it’s cooomin home it’s commin….

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10509
    edited September 2022

The wife has just put it on the TV. Funerals are bad enough in real life, never mind watching someone else's,who I've never met, on the box. 

I'm off to clean the cats litter tray instead.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I feel a need to say this again.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the telly, football & radios
     and with 96 guns & muffled drum, 
    Recall all Met coppers, let the mourners come.

* with apologies to WH Auden.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    They were talking on the radio this morning about hundreds of dignitaries from around the world being bussed in to Westminster as there just isn't the capacity for that many limos, and I can't help imagining a Number 47 with ayatollahs here and tinpot dictators there, with standing room only because there are piles of Aldi bags on seats. 

They were claiming that bonds will be forged on these buses implying that World Peace will break out, but it's more likely to be like trying to do a seating plan at a wedding, "your mother isn't speaking to my sister in law" etc. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    If it's anything like a night bus, fights'll break out.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4801
    p90fool said:
    They were talking on the radio this morning about hundreds of dignitaries from around the world being bussed in to Westminster as there just isn't the capacity for that many limos, and I can't help imagining a Number 47 with ayatollahs here and tinpot dictators there, with standing room only because there are piles of Aldi bags on seats. 

They were claiming that bonds will be forged on these buses implying that World Peace will break out, but it's more likely to be like trying to do a seating plan at a wedding, "your mother isn't speaking to my sister in law" etc. 
    so you were  No 47 user too ?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.