Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    A loss to the nation she gently guided, one which permits even the most ill-conceived, tasteless, poorly-timed, factually inaccurate and just plain fat-headed comments to be freely made in places such as this.

Charles will now have to work for a living, the shock might kill him. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited September 2022
    mrkb said:
    The Arsenal team are playing away in Switzerland and have conjured up a set of black armbands at halftime. I think everyone was in on the secret.

that's just in prep for the final score =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    scrumhalf said:
    A loss to the nation she gently guided, one which permits even the most ill-conceived, tasteless, poorly-timed, factually inaccurate and just plain fat-headed comments to be freely made in places such as this.

There might be another bloodline in the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha that rides to London to claim the throne.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4179
    edited September 2022
    scrumhalf said:

I'm no fan of royalty, but your statement about Charles is just plain wrong - given the work he does.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe a change in thread title, and a few more apt picking of moments from some, might be appropriate?

Whatever one thinks of the monarchy, Queen Elizabeth was a fine public servant, an amazing ambassador for the UK, and has presided over a huge chunk of all our lives.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    scrumhalf said:

A perfect riposte followed by a statement of fact.  Touche @scrumhalf ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7288
    edited September 2022
    I've always loved the story for her asking the King of Saudi Arabia (when women were not allowed to drive) if he wanted a tour of the grounds of Windsor castle. She then gets in the driver's seat and does not drive slowly
    The story I think I read on here at some point was very good: she's giving a speech or a talk somewhere and is interrupted by someone's phone ringing, she waits for it to stop and then asks them "Was it someone important?"
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    TheMarlin said:
    I had a really good meme lined up, but it’s not going to go down at all well now. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    TTony said:
    VimFuego said:
    Dominic said:
    I just heard an announcement that The King will be travelling back to London tomorrow 
    That sort of brought it home and it sounded strange 
    when you realise that there are many who have been born ,lived and died during that reign .
    She was very much a proper "Gracious" Queen in the modern age .
    as I said in the tribute thread, she had already been monarch for several years when my parents met. It's a length of service, of duty, that is quite frankly staggering. Difficult to get my head around just how long she was monarch, how many events happened in that period, how much change.
    And how she managed to stick to the brief throughout it all.

An amazing sense of duty and commitment.
    and of course, we should remember that she was never really raised to the job, it came to her (and her father) by chance. We, as a nation, have been lucky that we did end up with her as monarch and not the offspring of a known nazi sympathiser and Hitler apologist like her uncle. She was probably looking forwards to a life of horses and related things, to be thrust like that into a position she quickly had to learn how to do, and to do it for so long, staggering really.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19627
    Talking of tasteless posts...mine was taken down by @Rowland .. fair play but some of comments on here are also tasteless.

RIP 
    Allegedly @Roland  prefers it that you get his name right but you are correct, people should just let it go & calm down a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    scrumhalf said:

I'm no fan of royalty, but your statement about Charles is just plain wrong - given the work he does.
    Quite so , He's a  gentle and thoughtful fellow ....he was carping on about environment and similar issues 30 years ago long before anybody truly realised the crisis .......they thought he was a tree-hugging crank.
     He has been an overlooked resource for a long time because the Queen continued the top job and there was a limit to what he could do rather than overshadow her .
    He has actually been quite inspirational in many ways and he has worked quite hard albeit a great job.
    What you forget is that his true career is just starting TODAY long after many men his age have long -retired !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bojo's headline grabbing 'tribute'. Jeez.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Talking of tasteless posts...mine was taken down by @Rowland .. fair play but some of comments on here are also tasteless.

RIP 
    Allegedly @Roland  prefers it that you get his name right but you are correct, people should just let it go & calm down a bit.
    It was my phone doing autocorrection 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Dominic said:
    scrumhalf said:

Quite so , He's a  gentle and thoughtful fellow ....he was carping on about environment and similar issues 30 years ago long before anybody truly realised the crisis .......they thought he was a tree-hugging crank.
     He has been an overlooked resource for a long time because the Queen continued the top job and there was a limit to what he could do rather than overshadow her .
    He has actually been quite inspirational in many ways and he has worked quite hard albeit a great job.
    What you forget is that his true career is just starting TODAY long after many men his age have long -retired !
    He's been doing a lot of the Queen's duties for a while now.

I'm not a massive fan of his. But anyone who can land a Phantom on an aircraft carrier must have something about them. 

• Dominic said:
    scrumhalf said:

He's been doing a lot of the Queen's duties for a while now.

I'm not a massive fan of his. But anyone who can land a Phantom on an aircraft carrier must have something about them. 
    Training?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Quite so , He's a  gentle and thoughtful fellow ....he was carping on about environment and similar issues 30 years ago long before anybody truly realised the crisis .......they thought he was a tree-hugging crank.  He has been an overlooked resource for a long time because the Queen continued the top job and there was a limit to what he could do rather than overshadow her . He has actually been quite inspirational in many ways and he has worked quite hard albeit a great job. What you forget is that his true career is just starting TODAY long after many men his age have long -retired !
    I'm afraid that whatever good you thought he brought to the nation is now at an end.  As King, he's going to have to keep his pie-hole shut on whatever issues he feels strongly about.  Unless he breaks with tradition of course.  Which I doubt he will.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19627
    ^ You a Dexy's/ Kevin fan? 

Jesting  ;)
    Bojo's headline grabbing 'tribute'. Jeez.
    I thought it was rather good.  I'm no Boris fan either.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    Bojo's headline grabbing 'tribute'. Jeez.
    I thought it was rather good.  I'm no Boris fan either.
    I didn't say it wasn't well written, just suggested it was written with an agenda.