Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    A total waste of life for some bizarre rich vanity project.

Anyone with any normal sense would see the state of that 'sub' and back out with the dreadful DIY approach to it.

You CANNOT f*** with nature/physics like that. I'd rather be rocketed into space than go down there, despite the obvious massive risk.

It's a sad story but such a waste of life just to sit in a tube and see a wreck of the titanic through a tiny port.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    I think two things are true here, the media love a protracted rescue story, whoever is being rescued.  The media doesn't care about migrants, unlessd they happened make it to a hotel, near a wealthy English town.
    Mega-wis mate!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A total waste of life for some bizarre rich vanity project.

Anyone with any normal sense would see the state of that 'sub' and back out with the dreadful DIY approach to it.

You CANNOT f*** with nature/physics like that. I'd rather be rocketed into space than go down there, despite the obvious massive risk.

It's a sad story but such a waste of life just to sit in a tube and see a wreck of the titanic through a tiny port.
    One thing to factor in is as well is that Oceangate most likely lied to all its customers about the construction of the vessel, the safety of the alternative materials used, the tests conducted (or lack of).  I'd even wager Stockton Rush lied or covered up a lot of shit to his co-owner.  But point being I don't believe the other 4 in the Titan really knew the full story and so didn't back out and were happy to sign that waiver.

They most likely received a massive discount as well in exchange for future investment or at least a 5 star review or some similar endorsement.  
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    A total waste of life for some bizarre rich vanity project.

One thing to factor in is as well is that Oceangate most likely lied to all its customers about the construction of the vessel, the safety of the alternative materials used, the tests conducted (or lack of).  I'd even wager Stockton Rush lied or covered up a lot of shit to his co-owner.  But point being I don't believe the other 4 in the Titan really knew the full story and so didn't back out and were happy to sign that waiver.

They most likely received a massive discount as well in exchange for future investment or at least a 5 star review or some similar endorsement.  
    What makes you say that?

Reports from previous trips have stated that they are very clear about the risks.

We have to accept that some people do still choose to take part in things like this, even when the risks are made overtly clear.

An example
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/former-passenger-titan-submersible-says-112917853.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHVJGsfXFjeeNydJhTtwc8Q3pwQEhNwqbHOoexgUtuGb5S4WJ6N-v4jo7r3it4JwFabZvZGOJg-81i0yh-cF7MdZ5mz1aT-C21VH1FJ0alpHR-hipX8XsoX3qL_hQutui1LRlQ23BW9hRs-DoxazBnEerf7-84mnq2vcjV2hQn7L

"You sign a massive waiver that lists one way after another that you could die on the trip," Mike Reiss told the BBC. "They mention death three times on page one, so it's never far from your mind."

Reiss took a trip on OceanGate Expeditions' Titan submersible in 2022 and said Tuesday: "As I was getting onto the sub, that was my thought: 'Well, this could be the end.'

"So nobody who's in this situation was caught off guard. You all know what you are getting into.""
  • The waiver can say death a million times but if the owner is telling you the chances of that happening are infintesimal and that the vessel is rock solid and has been tested and certified?  Kind of changes things.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. Honestly the experience sounds shit. You get in to a tube, look at a screen and are told "that's outside right now".
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Just read this on the BBC.  It's awful, and yet extraordinary.  They wouldn't have even known what was happening:

What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    DefaultM said:
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. 
    There was a 19 year-old on board. With his father. Who presumably read the waiver, saw the godawful weather, the capsule, and still paid half a million quid to get crushed with his son on their way to see half a rotting ship.

The whole thing is just so fucking alien to me. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1658
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Just read this on the BBC.  It's awful, and yet extraordinary.  They wouldn't have even known what was happening:

What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

Just like unwanted 'detonation' in a petrol engine then. Shudder. Mind you, if you had to go, not the absolute worst way.

There wouldn't have been any hydrocarbons in that submersible though - not that that would make f'kall of a difference)
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1072
    They’ve just found an arm 
    Yorkie said:
    DefaultM said:
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. 
    There was a 19 year-old on board. With his father. Who presumably read the waiver, saw the godawful weather, the capsule, and still paid half a million quid to get crushed with his son on their way to see half a rotting ship.

The whole thing is just so fucking alien to me. 
    One issue is understanding the relative value of the trip to a Billionaire 

Very roughly, It's comparable to someone on a decent wage deciding to buy a sandwich for their lunch. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    DefaultM said:
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. Honestly the experience sounds shit. You get in to a tube, look at a screen and are told "that's outside right now".
    Why do people climb Mount Everest? Or dive Blue Hole? Or Sky Dive? Or Freeclimb?
    If nobody ever took risks, we'd probably still be living in caves.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    m_c said:
    DefaultM said:
    Why do people climb Mount Everest? Or dive Blue Hole? Or Sky Dive? Or Freeclimb?
    I know, for those, it is the physical challenge, the training, the “do it when i am still young enough”.  To say, “i did that”.

I know in some level going down to Titanic is kinda like that, but in a lot of ways, it is not, this is more on the level of “I saw Star Wars at the cinema.”
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    Rob1742 said:
    They’ve just found an arm 
    Can't find any news on any new things being found?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    edited June 2023
    Edit: No jokes sorry.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    m_c said:
    DefaultM said:
    Mountain climbing, deep diving, free diving, sky diving or rope free climbing have not contributed to developments in house building.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    m_c said:
    Risk taking in the name of science and progress, I could support. 

Shipwreck/mass grave tourism and the adrenaline junkie type stuff you’re mentioning… why should I care? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    m_c said:
    DefaultM said:
    Those things don't sound shit though. They seem like things that would take skill and that have an exciting effect on your body.
    I'd understand if as you descend you can see all around you, but this is just getting in a sealed metal tube that you can't even see out of and looking at a screen.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    m_c said:
    DefaultM said:
    There's a big difference between exploration for adding to human knowledge and having a good story of how you gawped at an inaccessible mass grave to impress your guests at dinner parties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom