Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    One headline reads

"Titanic sub firm: A maverick, rule-breaking founder and a tragic end"

for me, not the three words I'd want to hear as comfort prior to engaging
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    west said:
    west said:
    west said:
    I just wanted to say in ref to the Titanic ... ( how often would you be able to drop this in to a conversation )  my dad worked for a company most of his life called Welin/ Davits and then Welin Lambie as a marine fitter. ironically in land locked brierley hill west midlands  ...  his company were responsible for the davits that secured the lifeboats on the Titanic in 1912 ... que all the jokes as we did with him...

Years later Welin lambie were approached by james camerons production company to build  some, accuratly to original plans for the filming of the Titanic film and he was in the team that built them .....

The Titanic anchor was built in Netherton and there's a big plastic replica in Cradley Heath. Neighbouring towns to Brierly Hill. 
    An area once famous for iron and steel and particularly chain making. 

Yes I know lol ... ;)  Hingleys .....  round oak steel woorks and british steel where i worked for a bit ....  also had a relative who didnt survive who was on the titanic ... D. Wood carpenter .. brockmoor  famous for the foundry ....
    Round Oak was where Merry Hill is now? 

When we went to Australia we visited an historic lighthouse and the big lighthouse lenses were from Stourbridge. The tour guide was distinctly underwhelmed by our explanation that’s near where we live. But there was some amazing industry and craftsmanship out of this area once upon a time. 

Yes round oak was there roughly , level street crossing and the  train to baggeridge brick works a massive employer for the area ...

and the glass depending was stuart crystal  ( other grandad worked there ) . steven williams and corbet crystal ....
    my friend Richard worked at Stuart Crystal and then ran Red House glass repairs for many years, he would occasionally feature in newspapers as the skills in repairing lead crystal had become so rare it was one if those things that would get asked in the Observer or somewhere and they’d give his details. I don’t know what the Observer readers made of the thickest Black Country accent you’ve ever heard. Richard was also the technical person behind Diamond Bottleneck slides. I don’t know who made the ones in Australia, these massive bits of lead crystal that had been taken half way around the world in the nineteenth century and were still intact. 

What was his surname ? .... just in case ... i knew a load of lads from school who worked there ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    edited June 2023
    west said:
    west said:
    west said:
    west said:
    I just wanted to say in ref to the Titanic ... ( how often would you be able to drop this in to a conversation )  my dad worked for a company most of his life called Welin/ Davits and then Welin Lambie as a marine fitter. ironically in land locked brierley hill west midlands  ...  his company were responsible for the davits that secured the lifeboats on the Titanic in 1912 ... que all the jokes as we did with him...

Years later Welin lambie were approached by james camerons production company to build  some, accuratly to original plans for the filming of the Titanic film and he was in the team that built them .....

The Titanic anchor was built in Netherton and there's a big plastic replica in Cradley Heath. Neighbouring towns to Brierly Hill. 

Yes I know lol ...   Hingleys .....  round oak steel woorks and british steel where i worked for a bit ....  also had a relative who didnt survive who was on the titanic ... D. Wood carpenter .. brockmoor  famous for the foundry ....

When we went to Australia we visited an historic lighthouse and the big lighthouse lenses were from Stourbridge. The tour guide was distinctly underwhelmed by our explanation that’s near where we live. But there was some amazing industry and craftsmanship out of this area once upon a time. 

Yes round oak was there roughly , level street crossing and the  train to baggeridge brick works a massive employer for the area ...

and the glass depending was stuart crystal  ( other grandad worked there ) . steven williams and corbet crystal ....
    my friend Richard worked at Stuart Crystal and then ran Red House glass repairs for many years, he would occasionally feature in newspapers as the skills in repairing lead crystal had become so rare it was one if those things that would get asked in the Observer or somewhere and they’d give his details. I don’t know what the Observer readers made of the thickest Black Country accent you’ve ever heard. Richard was also the technical person behind Diamond Bottleneck slides. I don’t know who made the ones in Australia, these massive bits of lead crystal that had been taken half way around the world in the nineteenth century and were still intact. 

What was his surname ? .... just in case ... i knew a load of lads from school who worked there ...
    gone to PM
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    west said:
    west said:
    west said:
    west said:

Yes I know lol ...   Hingleys .....  round oak steel woorks and british steel where i worked for a bit ....  also had a relative who didnt survive who was on the titanic ... D. Wood carpenter .. brockmoor  famous for the foundry ....

gone to PM

Thank God for that!
    I was going to suggest you get a room.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    I found this video made by someone who went down there in the sub. Set the subs to auto generated English ... the actual in the sub dialogue is english  ..... this is an amazing video and shows you exactly what they saw and experienced 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Watching that video, there is no way on this earth that you’d get me in that thing, I was feeling claustrophobic just watching that…
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    edited June 2023
    welshboyo said:
    Watching that video, there is no way on this earth that you’d get me in that thing, I was feeling claustrophobic just watching that…
    As it turns out, it's not available anyway...

But yes, especially given how dangerous it was it would take a lot to get someone in it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • So the pilot has to hold down on the Logitech stick all throughout the whole 2 hour descent? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    So the pilot has to hold down on the Logitech stick all throughout the whole 2 hour descent? 
    That's nothing. My son used to play GTA for 18 hours straight.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    sinbaadi said:
    elstoof said:
    Seagate was already taken. 

The name was possibly inspired during a submersible parts shopping trip to Maplins
    Presumably someone warned him off using Watergate.
    I’m just glad that Musk wasn’t one of the billionaire owners, as Elongate would have just gone on and on.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I've been following this story for a week now and I'm beginning to fear the worst.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    sinbaadi said:
    elstoof said:
    Seagate was already taken. 

The name was possibly inspired during a submersible parts shopping trip to Maplins
    Presumably someone warned him off using Watergate.
    I’m just glad that Musk wasn’t one of the billionaire owners, as Elongate would have just gone on and on.
    Bravo sir
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1779
    This is interesting. Very haunting as well...

• DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 269
    This is interesting. Very haunting as well...

Between this video and the Spanish chap - seeing the operation of the sub & the number of problems it boggles my mind that this was something that Stockton thought was acceptable.

I was also surprised by the number of dives it had done. I wonder when Stockton was going to retire the sub for analysis given this was the first deep-sea carbon sub
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    I’m amazed it went down as many times as it did 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 307
    elstoof said:
    I’m amazed it went down  came back up as many times as it did 
    FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7044
    elstoof said:
    I’m amazed it went down as many times as it did 
    It looked like it only did 1 (if that) successful dive to depth. First three were cancelled, and 5th was the last one.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    edited June 2023
    It made 3 trips down from what I read. Oceangate also claim to have done 50 test dives to similar depths, though I don’t know how much I believe that
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    This one is quite interesting.  At about ten minutes in he mentions DeepFlight Challenger which was made for Steve Fossett from composite materials.

After he died it was acquired by Virgin Oceanic and RB intended to do a series of deep ocean dives with it.  DeepFlight refused to endorse this as it was designed for single use only due to its construction.

The whole video is interesting, though, and worth watching.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.