Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    This is interesting. Very haunting as well...

When they seal them into the sub at around 22 minutes... I feel sick with claustrophobia just watching.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You couldn’t pay me enough to go down in a proper submarine, never mind something like that.. :#
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7044
    jellyroll said:

When they seal them into the sub at around 22 minutes... I feel sick with claustrophobia just watching.

I crawled inside a torpedo tube once (was an apprentice in a submarine shipyard) - that was awful and that was with the door open, on a level drydock on dry land. That thing looks awful - it is pointing downways to dive and you hold on to stop sliding to the dome end!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074

seeing the operation of the sub & the number of problems it boggles my mind that this was something that Stockton thought was acceptable.
    It almost makes Wallace and Gromit’s rocket in A Grand Day Out look like a properly designed vehicle and a professional operation.

I’m astonished it even survived one dive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1338
    Absolutely nuts.  

Such arrogance and ego at play there.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    mrkb said:
    jellyroll said:

I crawled inside a torpedo tube once (was an apprentice in a submarine shipyard) - that was awful and that was with the door open, on a level drydock on dry land. That thing looks awful - it is pointing downways to dive and you hold on to stop sliding to the dome end!

A spearfish tube?  21" !!!!

Rather you than me mate!!  I couldn't do that - what was in there you needed to get at?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 911
    Much higher-brow tourism is conducted in anticipation of some profound positive experience. We might haul ourselves all the way to Egypt to marvel at the wonderous size and age of the pyramids, make the long journey out to Peru to wallow in the eerie presence of another civilization at Machu Picchu amidst the early morning mountain-top clouds, or travel to southern Spain to enjoy the intricate and delicate beauty of the pleasure palace that was the Moorish Alhambra.

I am at a loss to come up with the soul-enrichment anticipated by tunneling down to the ocean floor in a cigar case to get up close to a dilapidated wreck where hundreds of people died a hundred years ago. Very odd. Were they interested in meditating on the futility of all human endeavour, I wonder? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    Timcito said:
    I am at a loss to come up with the soul-enrichment anticipated by tunneling down to the ocean floor in a cigar case to get up close to a dilapidated wreck where hundreds of people died a hundred years ago. Very odd. Were they interested in meditating on the futility of all human endeavour, I wonder? 
    I cannot think of any other reason than bragging rights.

Stockton Rush gets to show off his toy submarine to rich ticket paying folk and rub shoulders with the uber wealthy, pretty much in the same way as that mate who just bought a new BMW comes round to show it off and wants to know if you'd like to go for a ride.

Those who get to go on the sub then get to brag about it to all their chums at well to do dinner parties.

I don't suppose there is any actual merit of personally going down that deep to see the wreck first hand.  You're not going to see very much and it's not like they're breaking new ground or discovering anything that hasn't been seen before.

I bet anyone with a decent TV has seen better images of the wreck than what you'd be able to see through a tiny porthole window from a claustrophobic tin can on the sea bed.

The whole venture was driven by vanity for the benefit and validation of the vain.

It's amazing how quickly reports are coming out about how corners were cut, advice was ignored and construction was flawed etc.  Despite any amount of waivers and disclaimers of "experimental vessel" Ocean Gate are culpable for the disaster.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    edited June 2023
    Timcito said:
    Much higher-brow tourism is conducted in anticipation of some profound positive experience. We might haul ourselves all the way to Egypt to marvel at the wonderous size and age of the pyramids, make the long journey out to Peru to wallow in the eerie presence of another civilization at Machu Picchu amidst the early morning mountain-top clouds, or travel to southern Spain to enjoy the intricate and delicate beauty of the pleasure palace that was the Moorish Alhambra.

There is some sort of perverted glamour attached to the Titanic, so I kind of get the appeal. I also suspect a lot of people can push aside the fact there are a lot of dead people onboard it too…but that’s probably only while you’re watching it remotely on a tv screen instead of being right next to the actual wreck. One of the most moving things I’ve seen is the wreck of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbour. You can walk out on a boardwalk so you’re right above it and can see the superstructure through the water. It’s a very eerie and profound experience when you realise how many bodies were deliberately left onboard. There’s still oil leaking from the tanks onboard that comes to the surface, the Navy personnel refer to it as “black tears”. 

With the Titanic I think it ultimately just comes down to bragging rights… “I saw the actual Titanic, it was awesome dude!!”  Maybe having the sort of money available to spunk on a pointless trip to a famous shipwreck insulates you from having feelings about the people who died too. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'm torn between a trip down to the Titanic and an appointment with Dignitas.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Timcito said:

Air travel is only destroying the planet to go see the tombs of death cult mass murderers and extinct child sacrificing savages. 

;) 

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Haych said:
    I cannot think of any other reason than bragging rights.

Stockton Rush gets to show off his toy submarine to rich ticket paying folk and rub shoulders with the uber wealthy, pretty much in the same way as that mate who just bought a new BMW comes round to show it off and wants to know if you'd like to go for a ride.

Those who get to go on the sub then get to brag about it to all their chums at well to do dinner parties.

I don't entirely disagree with you but we don't actually know their motives and it is easy to attach bragging motives to lots of human activity. "That Edmund Hilary? He just wanted to brag about it" .... etc.

And let's not forget that one of them was a diver who had been down to the Titanic 37 times and one of them was (virtually) a schoolboy. 

Personally, I wouldn't have got in that thing if they had paid me the $250k.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3739
    There is a vast difference between the Edmund Hillarys and Donald Campbells, and this total conman.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    It does seem strange that such a thing can be put into 'commercial service' seemingly with out regulation.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1338
    edited June 2023
    ROOG said:
    It does seem strange that such a thing can be put into 'commercial service' seemingly with out regulation.
    Totally agree.  When you think of the things that, should they go wrong, we would want to know why it wasn't checked, serviced, regulated etc, from tour boats to fairgrounds and a million other things, the fact that this guy could basically be the Colin Furze of oceanic exploration and actually operate in this way is astonishing.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    sinbaadi said:
    ROOG said:
    Totally agree.  When you think of the things that, should they go wrong, we would want to know why it wasn't checked, serviced, regulated etc, from tour boats to fairgrounds and a million other things, the fact that this guy could basically be the Colin Furze of oceanic exploration and actually operate in this way is astonishing.  
    Always be careful when flying domestic flights abroad. There are quite a few operators of planes that aren't allowed to fly over here due to lack of proper scheduled maintenance records. 
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-air-safety-list

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 911
    edited June 2023

Air travel is only destroying the planet to go see the tombs of death cult mass murderers and extinct child sacrificing savages. 

The problem with this kind of cancel culture -  trashing ancient civilizations because they did not share our (ahem!) pristine worldview - is something of a dead-end because eventually someone in the future could just as easily trash ours for reasons we may not even be able to imagine right now. Perhaps future generations will look angrily back on us for murdering animals and eating them - who knows? At the times when the Incas and the Egyptians performed the horrors you refer to, I'd guess the perpetrators felt as guiltless as people today who tuck into a juicy steak at Roadhouse Grill.

And anyway, 'extinct child-sacrificing savages' is no way to talk about the Rolling Stones!   
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    I think there’s a pretty strong link between very successful people (whether that be in business or sports, and being a psychopath. A Psychopathic trait is usually a single minded/highly driven person with very little regard to anyone or anything, and they tend to act in an impulsive & risky manner….that’s what gets them to the top and makes them billionaires etc…..and then they usually crash & burn and take everyone with them…..Maxwell, Epstein, Weinstein, Stockton Rush, Trump etc.etc….
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    edited June 2023
    tone1 said:
    I think there’s a pretty strong link between very successful people (whether that be in business or sports, and being a psychopath. A Psychopathic trait is usually a single minded/highly driven person with very little regard to anyone or anything, and they tend to act in an impulsive & risky manner….that’s what gets them to the top and makes them billionaires etc…..and then they usually crash & burn and take everyone with them…..Maxwell, Epstein, Weinstein, Stockton Rush, Trump etc.etc….
    Yup. It's basically to impossible to become a multi-billionaire without being a psycho, because any rational person gets 1/10/50% there and goes "I've got enough, I'm gonna stop and do something fun (and hopefully beneficial for the world) with the time I've got left"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    So, they’ve managed to recover quite a chunk of debris. I am quite surprised to find that it doesn’t look that terrible? Not that I have ever seen imploded gear before though… 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie