Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited July 2023
    I'm not sure the actual amount really matters.

Not sure you have to be a psycho to be a multi billionaire, and I'm sure there are still plenty of psychos that aren't.

For me it's more about the choice to make money the most important part of your life, not necessarily how much you end up with.

I'd imagine there are a bunch of people here that could easily retire, and have a happy life, but choose not to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4307
    dano said:
    Yup. It's basically to impossible to become a multi-billionaire without being a psycho, because any rational person gets 1/10/50% there and goes "I've got enough, I'm gonna stop and do something fun (and hopefully beneficial for the world) with the time I've got left"
    What's "enough?" 
    Lets start with  enough as 1% of a billion, so £10M  B)
    Who needs 10m?
    Me so I could buy a couple of guitars from the world famous Essex Guitar Studio
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    tone1 said:
    I think there’s a pretty strong link between very successful people (whether that be in business or sports, and being a psychopath. A Psychopathic trait is usually a single minded/highly driven person with very little regard to anyone or anything, and they tend to act in an impulsive & risky manner….that’s what gets them to the top and makes them billionaires etc…..and then they usually crash & burn and take everyone with them…..Maxwell, Epstein, Weinstein, Stockton Rush, Trump etc.etc….
    Yup. It's basically to impossible to become a multi-billionaire without being a psycho, because any rational person gets 1/10/50% there and goes "I've got enough, I'm gonna stop and do something fun (and hopefully beneficial for the world) with the time I've got left"
    What's "enough?" 
    I don’t know and I’m sure it’s different for everyone but I’m pretty sure it’s less than a billion dollars 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill Gates doesn't strike me as psychotic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    tone1 said:
    I think there’s a pretty strong link between very successful people (whether that be in business or sports, and being a psychopath. A Psychopathic trait is usually a single minded/highly driven person with very little regard to anyone or anything, and they tend to act in an impulsive & risky manner….that’s what gets them to the top and makes them billionaires etc…..and then they usually crash & burn and take everyone with them…..Maxwell, Epstein, Weinstein, Stockton Rush, Trump etc.etc….
    What's "enough?" 
    I don’t know and I’m sure it’s different for everyone but I’m pretty sure it’s less than a billion dollars 
    That's the thing though it's all relative. 

If we were to take a global census the "enough" limit could be well under what some here make in a year.

Does that make them all psychos? 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1158
    Sassafras said:
    Do we know how much that Titan submersible cost to put together?
    About £50?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    I wonder how much Cameron's film had an effect on interest in the Titanic?  I know it was a big deal when it went down and again when it was found but between the discovery and the movie, did anyone really give a monkey's - well, enough to spend silly money risking your life to see it?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    Emp_Fab said:
    I wonder how much Cameron's film had an effect on interest in the Titanic?  I know it was a big deal when it went down and again when it was found but between the discovery and the movie, did anyone really give a monkey's - well, enough to spend silly money risking your life to see it?
    There were at least 3 films .... it was always a big deal in the mind of the public. Many times people tried to form ideas to raise it. They didn't know it was in 2 bits before Ballard found it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    Emp_Fab said:
    Shit! Let’s hope no billionaires get ideas from Jurassic Park then!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Emp_Fab said:
    Had a bit of an effect no doubt, but it's as much a symptom of the fascination as the cause.

It's the "perfect tragedy" if you like, all of society crammed onto what at the time was man's greatest achievement, a vast, luxurious and fast ocean liner.  

She symbolises the past, with it's class system, its hubris, its lack of technical finesse by our standards by being the very peak of its time.

She claimed 1500 lives in a drama that had heroism, cowardice, hope and tragedy.

...and now her massive wreck sits in the deep darkness, a tomb, in whose depths lie the resting places of many of her crew and passengers, slowly collapsing into decay.

It's the ultimate tragedy, the ultimate ghost story, the ultimate story of human arrogance.

I totally get the fascination.

Reminds me of the story about a dog walker falling down a hole near the original site of the crystal Palace to find an odd train full of skeletons in victorian dress.

Understandably she ran like a nutter for the cops and they could never find the tunnel.

Now THAT story like most urban myths is likely bollocks, which helps explain the power of one we know to be totally true.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074

One of the most bonkers books ever written, probably!

There was a film, too - which I've never seen, but was a complete turkey by all accounts despite featuring Jason Robards, Alec Guinness and some others who should all probably have known better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31963
    ICBM said:

There was a film, too - which I've never seen, but was a complete turkey by all accounts despite featuring Jason Robards, Alec Guinness and some others who should all probably have known better.
    It was expensive too, leading to the producer saying "It would've been cheaper to lower the Atlantic".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    Stonkton Rushes wife  Wendy is apparently the great great grand daughter of Isador Straus .... he and his wife Ida were some of the richest people on the Titanic. 
    When it started sinking he refused a seat on a lifeboat because there were still women and children to get off. His wife refused to leave him and thus they both died. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 911

It's the "perfect tragedy" if you like, all of society crammed onto what at the time was man's greatest achievement, a vast, luxurious and fast ocean liner.  

She symbolises the past, with it's class system, its hubris, its lack of technical finesse by our standards by being the very peak of its time.
    Yes, a part of the fascination must also be the fact that the passengers were among the world's elite. If the ship had been carrying migrants to Ellis Island, I can't imagine that it would have stirred up such interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7218
    ICBM said:

Oh yeah, I've not read the book but the film has a bizarre premise that the sunken ship contains some cargo of highly sought after unobtanium that's necessary to win the cold war or something.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4070
    dano said:
    What's "enough?" 
    Lets start with  enough as 1% of a billion, so £10M  B)
    Who needs 10m?
    Have you seen the price of a super yacht?!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    Who needs a super yacht?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    tony99 said:

Oh yeah, I've not read the book but the film has a bizarre premise that the sunken ship contains some cargo of highly sought after unobtanium that's necessary to win the cold war or something.
    That's it in a nutshell. As well as the physical impossibility of raising a ship - even if more intact than the Titanic was later found to be - from that depth using anything like the method proposed.

Makes Alistair MacLean seem like a documentary writer :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    Sassafras said:
    Do we know how much that Titan submersible cost to put together?
    They bought the carbon fibre at a discount from Boeing because it was pat it’s use by date and no longer viable for them to work with, so the answer is probably “not much”