Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm assuming it's like crushing an egg with your hand. The whole thing doesn't disintegrate into powder. Some big chunks of the shell remain intact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Only things containing gases get crushed, like your airways, stomach and recklessly made submersibles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    edited June 2023
    Saw a documentary a while ago on the Titanic and it explained why there are no skeletons down there. Apparently bones get liquefied quite quickly in those depths, and that's why the only remains of Titanic deceased down there are their shoes. Lots and lots of old shoes. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    This, I’m OK with. Eggshell: 

This, I don’t quite understand. Unless the thing imploded not long after initiating descent? Do we know? 

I am just trying to understand what we’re seeing. I have no idea how this is supposed to look, but I am curious. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Yorkie said:
    This, I’m OK with. Eggshell: 

This, I don’t quite understand. Unless the thing imploded not long after initiating descent? Do we know? 

I am just trying to understand what we’re seeing. I have no idea how this is supposed to look, but I am curious. 
    I think the first photo is part of the fibre glass outer shell, either from around the main body, or the tail area.
    Although the carbon fibre tube was 5" thick, it did have an outer protective shield to protect it from impact damage.

Second photo looks like part of the under carriage.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    Did you ever hold an empty smarties tube in one hand and whack the middle with the other so the plastic cap popped off?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes agreed, the 2nd photo can only be the underside skis, which are permanently outside the sub. 

The sub couldn't have imploded not long after descent because the mother ship still had radio communication with them more than hour after they launched. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    The debris is all quite close together near the titanic so they must’ve been fairly close to the bottom before implosion
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    edited June 2023
    Yes agreed, the 2nd photo can only be the underside skis, which are permanently outside the sub. 
    Ah, then it all makes sense. Those parts were already at high pressure when the rest imploded. Case closed 1 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• elstoof said:
    Did you ever hold an empty smarties tube in one hand and whack the middle with the other so the plastic cap popped off?
    That is exactly what I thought of when it became obvious it had failed.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    No big lumps of carbon fibre coming up, just titanium and fibreglass parts, so presumably it’s the actual c/f hull which failed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    boogieman said:
    No big lumps of carbon fibre coming up, just titanium and fibreglass parts, so presumably it’s the actual c/f hull which failed. 
    The BBC is reporting that the front end cap has the porthole window missing, but the tube is in pieces. That implies it was the tube that failed and not the window - otherwise the tube would probably be intact - and the porthole was blown out from the inside as the tube collapsed. But the experts will probably be able to determine it for sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    edited June 2023
    boogieman said:
    Have they finished the salvage operation or are they still bringing stuff up?  Even if the CF hull did fail I'd expect there to be large bits of it down there, no?

I noticed a picture of the front dome being lifted yesterday - without the porthole window - I wonder if that was the failure point, seeing as it was only certified for 1300 metres, or if that was blown out/sucked in during the implosion?

I also read on the news this morning that they've found "presumed human remains" in the wreckage - the fact they can't positively identify the remains as human makes me think it's quite grim and not a pretty sight!

Edit: I also was watching an interview with someone yesterday (I forget who, but I think it might have been James Cameron) who stated that the last communication with the sub was that it had initiated a resurface procedure before the implosion.  So the occupants must have known something was wrong before it failed.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Haych said:

I also read on the news this morning that they've found "presumed human remains" in the wreckage 

I honestly don't know why they had to report that. If I was a family member I would find that distressing. We literally aren't expecting anyone to have survived so why go there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5191
    I read that the pressure would have heated the air inside to thousands of degrees in an instant. I don't think we need to have details what they found. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Note to self: When designing next submarine, feature window not necessary. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    axisus said:
    Haych said:

I also read on the news this morning that they've found "presumed human remains" in the wreckage 

I honestly don't know why they had to report that. If I was a family member I would find that distressing. We literally aren't expecting anyone to have survived so why go there.
    The press have to satisfy our ghoulish interest..
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    axisus said:
    Haych said:

Because it's the #1 mission of the recovery. There are people who would like to have a funeral service for their loved ones.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    goldtop said:
    axisus said:
    Haych said:

Because it's the #1 mission of the recovery. There are people who would like to have a funeral service for their loved ones.
    I get that sentiment, but it only works with a body. They aren't bringing bodies back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I think the major objective of the salvage is to prove exactly why it failed, just to make completely sure no other “innovators” are tempted to think they know better than the consensus of engineering opinion which had already warned that building it that shape and from those materials was a very bad idea.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom