Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    when you're done trying to impress people with how much money you have, I guess you can always try to impress them with how many experiences you can buy. Personally I'm with Douglas Coupland in that for me bought experiences don't count, but I suspect I would not be the target audience for the impressor. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    DefaultM said:
    m_c said:
    DefaultM said:
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. Honestly the experience sounds shit. You get in to a tube, look at a screen and are told "that's outside right now".
    Why do people climb Mount Everest? Or dive Blue Hole? Or Sky Dive? Or Freeclimb?
    If nobody ever took risks, we'd probably still be living in caves.
    Those things don't sound shit though. They seem like things that would take skill and that have an exciting effect on your body.
    I'd understand if as you descend you can see all around you, but this is just getting in a sealed metal tube that you can't even see out of and looking at a screen.
    Blue Hole is supposed to be a bit of a crap dive to be honest, although ut is actually on my list, and it is literally to say I've done it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 673
    I’m in Aerospace. I only learned halfway through the media coverage that this thing was carbon fibre not steel, and with titanium end plates. 
    It’s already a stupid shape for high pressure (not a sphere), so add to that the well known problems of defect flaw detection in carbon fibre, the well known problems of joining metal to carbon fibre I had already jumped to the conclusion that they had imploded days ago. 

It’s basically a millionaire and his toy submersible that he made as a hobby, playing in the sea with his rich mates. It’s a bit like a billionaire paying his billionaire mate for a ride in his rocket to space. Oh wait….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited June 2023
    I think two things are true here, the media love a protracted rescue story, whoever is being rescued.  The media doesn't care about migrants, unlessd they happened make it to a hotel, near a wealthy English town.
    Mega-wis mate!

To be fair the media seem to be giving the public what it wants. I mean look at the length of this thread compared to the drowned migrant one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    I think two things are true here, the media love a protracted rescue story, whoever is being rescued.  The media doesn't care about migrants, unlessd they happened make it to a hotel, near a wealthy English town.
    Mega-wis mate!

To be fair the media seem to be giving the public what it wants. I mean look at the length this thread compared to the drowned migrant one. 
    Fair Comment.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Philly_Q said:
    Can someone please give him an opportunity to heroically go down to the Titanic in a weighted sack...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    A pathetic, overly wordy and thinly veiled argument in favour of deregulation. 

His usual nonsense.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Philly_Q said:
    Can someone please give him an opportunity to heroically go down to the Titanic in a weighted sack...
    He IS a weighted sack...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    Philly_Q said:
    "When we think of the Titanic, we are reminded of the eternal tragic verities: that hubris invites nemesis".
    Too fucking right it does, you lying hubristic verbiage spouting cunt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    Bojo chipping in like a block of loose ice dropping on a crewman as the iceberg passes makes me think the Titanic is a metaphor for Britain...

That makes the Iceberg Brexit, Boris the crazy sod who blasted straight towards it at 25 knots, Liz Truss the useless poorly thought out rudder and Rees-Mogg the fire in the coal Bunker that damaged the watertight doors.  Sunak is the not enough lifeboats...

Making the last few years a plunge through trillions of gallons of icy water to hit bottom so hard it causes a mile wide crater...

So in 120 years some mad rich buggers will spend millions on visiting the magnificent but eerie quiet of the wreck of Britain..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    edited June 2023
    Apparently the carbon fibre used was Boeing's old stock that was considered not fit for aerospace usage, which is exponentially less stringent than submarine use should be. And apparently the internal monitor was simply bolted to the carbon, further weakening it.

Utter insanity. 

I won't even get started on Boris. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    DefaultM said:
    Can't get my head around why you would step in to something thinking 'well this could be the end' when the reason you're stepping in is so unnecessary. 
    Going on foreign holiday is completely unnecessary, and yet people take the risk of going in aeroplanes all the time - if you had to sign a waiver before getting on a ryanair flight it would also mention risk of death. The difference is that the aviation industry is heavily regulated and aircraft are certified. 

Humans regularly risk death - every time you get in a car for starters. The point is that there are normally safety mitigations in place. 

When I started reading about all of this I'd assumed that all the chat about the vehicle was exaggerated and it couldn't really have been that bad. Turns out it was worse. Stockton Rush may have paid with his life for being an arrogant moron but I can't help but feel he got off a bit lightly for his part in the manslaughter of four people. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    Apparently the carbon fibre used was Boeing's old stock that was considered not fit for aerospace usage, which is exponentially less stringent than submarine use should be. And apparently the internal monitor was simply bolted to the carbon, further weakening it.

Utter insanity. 

The more information that comes out about its construction, the more it solidifies that these people had absolutely no idea what they were doing and shouldn't have been anywhere near deep sea exploration. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:

Utter insanity. 

The more information that comes out about its construction, the more it solidifies that these people had absolutely no idea what they were doing and shouldn't have been anywhere near deep sea exploration. 
    It kind of reminds me of a visit to Conniston Water and the Donald Campbell/Bluebird Museum - When you read about it and see what they were doing they were effectively making it up as they went along - Donald would say that as he went faster the front of the boat would lift up a bit - The answer/result was a few bags of sand left at the front of the vessel 

These days such projects would be backed with scientific data and big costings/sponsors etc - Donald effectively had a trusted loyal mechanic and the facilities akin to Kevin Websters garage in Coronation Street - It was almost a case of if you are not shitting yourself your not going fast enough
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:

Utter insanity. 

Is it true that Stockton Rush held the salvage rights to the Titanic and as such the rights for such exploration inc 'tourist' trips - sorry - I knew there was a connection - just found out that it was Paul- Henri Nargeolet who is a director of RMS Titanic that owns the salvage rights

Also is it true, his wife, lost her great (or even great great) grand parents in the Titanic 
  • The thing about his wife is what I read as well.

I haven't read anything about him owning salvage rights. Though I did read that apparently his long term goal was deep sea oil and gas. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    I doubt very much he had any salvage rights.  That's pretty far-fetched.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    I did read that apparently his long term goal was deep sea oil and gas. 
    It doesn't sound like he was particularly in touch with current day thinking.