Fascinating trivia about musicians

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
edited June 29 in Off Topic
I've been reading up about Steely Dan recently (not sure why) and found out the late great Walter Becker (RIP) was apparently the one who coined the term "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" in some guitar mag article many years ago.  Apparently he had amassed a vast collection of gear and when they auctioned all his stuff after he passed away, it set the record at the auction house for something. Raised something in the region of USD 3 million. I did not know any of this. 

So i read some more and it got better. Found out Skunk Baxter is a bona fide missile defense consultant/advisor for the US Govt, and he only got started on that journey from music electronics of all things. Funny considering he was like a hippy when he was in Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers lol. Again I did not know this. 

I also did not know before Steely Dan, Donald Fagen and Walter Becker were in a band with one of my favourite comedians Chevy Chase (drums)! 

I love stumbling on these kinds of things about people that I only ever heard via their instruments all these years. Like Brian May having a PhD in Astrophysics which I think most people know about already. Or likewise Dave Mustaine being a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. 

Anyone else got any interesting trivia like these? Would love to hear them! 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    edited June 28
    I had no idea until a few years ago that Jim Morrison's father was a US Navy Admiral who held significant commands of US naval forces during the Vietnam War.

Elton John's reaction to visiting Lennon's New York place and seeing a room filled with Yoko's fur coats.
    Imagine no possessions eh?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    CaseOfAce said:
    Elton John's reaction to visiting Lennon's New York place and seeing a room filled with Yoko's fur coats.
    Imagine no possessions eh?
    Well we all know that Imagine is really a bit shit... it got highlighted when Gal Gadot disappeared up her (admittedly perfect) arse during Covid because of it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    for some reason I now have an image of Gal Gadot and fur coats indelible imprinted on my brain.

Be back in a few.

Or maybe a bit longer.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LightB4soundLightB4sound Frets: 165
    David Lee Roth is a trained (as was active) paramedic, after Van Halen.

I think many will know Bruce Dickinson as the pilot, world class fencer, author that he is. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    Fred Durst was actually a biochemistry major and co-authored several influential papers on genome editing grains.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    David Lee Roth is a trained (as was active) paramedic, after Van Halen.

I think many will know Bruce Dickinson as the pilot, world class fencer, author that he is. 

And don't forget he hosted Bargain Hunt for years
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    Fred Durst was actually a biochemistry major and co-authored several influential papers on genome editing grains.
    Jesus, that's what I did my BSc on. I actually despise him a bit less now =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    VimFuego said:
    for some reason I now have an image of Gal Gadot and fur coats indelible imprinted on my brain.

Be back in a few.

Or maybe a bit longer.
    Lolwiz
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • The bass player for Suede, Mat Osman, is the older brother of Richard Osman of Pointless and crime novel fame. Not wanting to be outdone by his baby brother, he's also turned his hand to writing and has published two historical fiction/crime novels himself. I've read the 1st one, it wasn't bad! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 349
    Grant Shapp's brother André was keyboard player for Big Audio Dynamite and their cousin is Mick Jones.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Grant Shapp's brother André was keyboard player for Big Audio Dynamite and their cousin is Mick Jones.
    The other Mick Jones from Foreigner is Mark Ronson's stepfather.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1041
    robert fripp is tone deaf according to his wiki page. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    robert fripp is tone deaf according to his wife's page. 
    FTFY  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8168
    Apparently while Mick Jagger was sharing a flat with Keith Richards and Mick Jones, he was studying finance at the London School of Economics and supplemented this with part-time work as a porter in a psychiatric hospital.  Stories suggest that's where he lost his virginity with a nurse in a broom cupboard (no connection with Schofield) or somewehere like that.

Supposedly Rod Stewart once worked in a funeral home and also at marking out graves in a cemetary before his career as a musician started.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7374
    Damon Minchella, bass player with Ocean Colour Scene, Paul Weller and Richard Ashcroft, has a PhD in music and lectures at the University of South Wales.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4773
    Paul Wellers Brother was CTO at Centrica (British Gas) in th 2000s
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 35
    Julie James (Welsh housing minister, previously climate minister) brother is Aphex Twin
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezzaSnrJezzaSnr Frets: 28
    Paul Wellers Brother was CTO at Centrica (British Gas) in th 2000s
    He doesn’t have a brother. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
       Philly_Q said:
    The other Mick Jones from Foreigner is Mark Ronson's stepfather.

Mick used to play guitar for Jonny Halliday so is one of few musicians who had The Beatles supporting him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3766
    Matt Bellamy of Muse's father George was guitarist in The Tornados.
    They were first British band to have a number one in both the UK and USA with Telstar.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom