Fascinating trivia about musicians

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    Kurtis said:
    Steven Seagal used to be an actor. 

That's stretching the truth almost to breaking point...
    Agreed lol
    He is a good mate of Joe Bonamassa though. So at least there's a music link there. 

Is he? That's disappointing. I thought JoBo seemed like a decent sort of chap...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Kurtis said:
    Steven Seagal used to be an actor. 

That's stretching the truth almost to breaking point...
    Agreed lol
    He is a good mate of Joe Bonamassa though. So at least there's a music link there. 
    Is he? That's disappointing. I thought JoBo seemed like a decent sort of chap...
    Tom Morello says he's friends with Ted Nugent.  I guess sometimes very different people can be mates so long as they stick to the things they have in common...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • riffbrotherriffbrother Frets: 43
    Paul Stanley was born with an ear deformity and closed ear canal so is deaf on his right side.

Ian Anderson's son-in-law is The Walking Dead actor Andrew Lincoln.   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Geddy Lee is a big fan of stand up comedy and has seen Stewart Lee live several times. 
    I heard this in an interview with Stewart and assumed that he was making it up but a bit of googling suggests this is actually true. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Freddie Mercury was going to call Bo-Rap Mongolian Rhapsody but changed the name whilst flying when reading a BMA inflight magazine.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    boogieman said:
    Regarding slightly less well
    known musicians. 

Barrie Masters, lead singer of Eddie and the Hotrods, ran a double glazing business between gigs. 

Barry Martin, aka Snails Pace Slim, was in a couple of Sa’arfend bands before The Hamsters. The Old Pals Act, with Neville Martin, the old editor of Guitarist magazine and Molten Gold, with Robin Trower’s brother Brad. Nev Martin gave/sold Slim the purple striped SG that he used for slide.
    I seem to recall Slim was in the Kursaal Flyers too.

IA lives near us.  The daughter of an acquaintance has babysat his grandkid(s).
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    known musicians. 

Barrie Masters, lead singer of Eddie and the Hotrods, ran a double glazing business between gigs. 

Barry Martin, aka Snails Pace Slim, was in a couple of Sa’arfend bands before The Hamsters. The Old Pals Act, with Neville Martin, the old editor of Guitarist magazine and Molten Gold, with Robin Trower’s brother Brad. Nev Martin gave/sold Slim the purple striped SG that he used for slide.
    Indeed he was. If you can find a pic of the cover of the one album he did with them, he’s on there. Might be Five Live Kursaals, but don’t hold me to that. He looks like he weighed about 5 stone at the time and looks like a stick insect. 

He was briefly in Dr Feelgood too, after Wilko left. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    known musicians. 

Indeed he was. If you can find a pic of the cover of the one album he did with them, he’s on there. Might be Five Live Kursaals, but don’t hold me to that. He looks like he weighed about 5 stone at the time and looks like a stick insect. 

Didn't know about Dr Feelgood!

I bought a pedal from him a couple of years back - really nice guy.  And an absolutely awesome guitarist of course - I saw The Hamsters about a gazillion times :-) 
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    known musicians. 

Didn't know about Dr Feelgood!

I bought a pedal from him a couple of years back - really nice guy.  And an absolutely awesome guitarist of course - I saw The Hamsters about a gazillion times :-) 
    Me too. I was an embarrassingly huge fanboy and followed them all over the place, so our paths have probably crossed loads of times. Andy the bassist is a mate and I still get the odd message from Slim. Such a shame he packed up playing, but he is genuinely completely uninterested in guitars nowadays, hence the huge sell-off of gear. 
    My back hall :-)

Hamsters.jpg 787.3K
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    My back hall :-)

Noice! That was one of their best posters too. 

I’ve got a few bits of memorabilia stashed away… an ad poster they did for SKB cases, some picks, a snare drum head and some drumsticks from Al. I keep meaning to put them out on display. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited July 11
    Cher and Barbra Streisand are the only two mainstream musicians to win an Oscar for best Actor/tress Award

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Gassage said:
    Cher and Barbra Streisand are the only two mainstream musicians to win an Oscar for best Actor/tress Award
    I was desperate to think of someone else, but I think you're right.  Jennifer Hudson and Frank Sinatra have won best supporting.  I thought Kris Kristofferson might have won something, but no.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    Annie Lennox sang the closing credits song for LOTR : The Return of The King, and evn won an Oscar for it for Best Original Song. 
    I'm a big LOTR fan but I did not know that.  But then again I never hang around for the closing credits =)

• PjonPjon Frets: 325
    Offset said:

IA lives near us.  The daughter of an acquaintance has babysat his grandkid(s).

That is such a tenuous link to someone famous! :dissapointed: 

One of my colleagues recently interviewed IA and described him as a twat! 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8168
    I wonder what Ian Anderson thought of your colleague?  :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Somethin' Stupid - Frank and Nancy Sinatra - Think I'm right in saying they are still the only father/daughter  to have a #1 hit single as a duet 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    Seasick Steve’s real name is Steven.

’Seasick’ is just a nickname, arising from the fact that he gets seasick. On boats, that is.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687

Somethin' Stupid - Frank and Nancy Sinatra - Think I'm right in saying they are still the only father/daughter  to have a #1 hit single as a duet 
    Apparently Ozzy/ Kelly’s version of Changes went to number 1 too.

I also checked The Krankies, but Fan-dabi-dozi only got to number 46.