Fascinating trivia about musicians

What's Hot

Comments

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 224
    edited July 4
    I thought Raphael Ravanscroft played sax on Baker Street?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2008
    edited July 4
    He did.
    My wife's first husband booked him for the session and her best friend's husband produced the album. I've seen paperwork related to the booking and still randoms in pubs tell me it was a busker pulled off the street.
    There again, they probably think I'm a bullshitter.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    Dave Lee Travis and Savile were voted the hardest out of the Top of The Pops presenters, with Peter Powell being voted least able in a fight situation.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 210
    Bono was a nob .still is.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited July 4
    Geddy Lee has Canada’s greatest baseball ball collection.

He also owns a preCBS bass in every one of Fender’s custom colors including a P and J Fiesta Red every year from 56 to 65 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32236
    Gassage said:
    Steve Cropper is said to be the most recorded guitarist of all time.
    Nile Rodgers has played on, produced or engineered over 300 TOP100 hits.
    Hal Blaine is believed to be the most recorded drummer of all time.

Tommy Tedesco was usually said to have been the most recorded guitarist of all time. Although my mate Steve (see previous long pointless unsubstantiated stories that I have posted) has outlived him by many years I'm struggling to believe that he has recorded as many songs, jingles, Zappa albums,etc,etc, as Tommy did. 
    I suspect if we could objectively measure it the answer would be some bloke making Bollywood soundtracks since the 1960s. Some of the Nashville players, some of the Jamaican musicians like Ernest Ranglin appeared on hundreds of tracks over a relatively short period of time. 
    I'll ask Steve (or Stevo as I like to call him, The Cropmeister) next time we have a catch up...
    Isn't there some sort of fact like this about Dave Peacock (of Chas & Dave fame)? Something like because he played bass on a load of tracks that have been sampled by hip-hop artists, he's played on more UK top 40 tracks than anyone else...
    Earlier on drummer Clem Cattini got a mention in this Discussion and he’s probably the most successful single musician in terms of the U.K. charts (or at least back when it was measured in sales). 
    Peacock’s playing (I’m googling now) appears on a Labi Siffre track that was sampled by Eminem, Dr Dre, P Diddy and Jay Zee so I’d say he’s at least the most heard bassist from Enfield in hip hop. 
    Labi Siffre is gay, so wouldn't let homophobe M&Ms use his track - he had to rerecord it with his own musicians and change some of the lyric before Labi would give permission. 
    So no, Dave isn't on My Name Is. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Eminem - homophobe and homophone. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1885
    edited July 4
    Dave Lee Travis and Savile were voted the hardest out of the Top of The Pops presenters, with Peter Powell being voted least able in a fight situation.
    I think there is a reason those two were hard when presenting and it had nothing to do with fighting
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4803
    Kris Kristofferson was a military helicopter pilot.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4803
    My favourite silly tale concerns the Edgar Broughton Band turning up for a gig in Hornsea one night, rather than Hornsey.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    My favourite silly tale concerns the Edgar Broughton Band turning up for a gig in Hornsea one night, rather than Hornsey.
    A friend of mine locally booked Status Quo for a barn dance in Llandrindod Wells just as their career was starting to grow and they didn't show up. He'd never heard of them and had just been given the name by an agent. 

It turned out they went to Llandudno by mistake (well over a hundred miles away) but turned around and drove all night to get here anyway, playing football with the local lads the following morning and doing the gig a day late. 

They're remembered very fondly in these parts. 
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    The brother of ELP's Carl Palmer, Steve is also a drummer, having played with, among others, The Flying Hat Band.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    scrumhalf said:
    The brother of ELP's Carl Palmer, Steve is also a drummer, having played with, among others, The Flying Hat Band.
    The band which also gave the world Glenn Tipton and Mars Cowling!  I wonder what they sounded like?
    Recent research from Glastonbury reveals that 63.98% of all performing artists under the age of 30 had a sleeve tattoo.

Further analysis suggests that only 7.49% had any fucking clue what their tatts actually meant.

Gassage said:
    Recent research from Glastonbury reveals that 63.98% of all performing artists under the age of 30 had a sleeve tattoo.

Further analysis suggests that only 7.49% had any fucking clue what their tatts actually meant.
    Funnily enough that was pretty much the conversation we had while watching it, the older acts had no tattoos and the younger ones were covered. 

Except that nobody cares about individual tattoos, just that "lots of them" is the look they're going for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1885
    I feel more and more out of the norm for not having any tattoos at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 325
    rlw said:
    Kris Kristofferson was a military helicopter pilot.
    Also played rugby for his Oxford college (flanker and later prop?), and got a Blue for boxing.
    edited July 4
    Popular crooner Kelly-Clarkson is the lovechild of former Game for Laugh TV host Henry Kelly and motor journalist Jeremy Clarkson. Her face is modelled on a Buick 8litre cylinder block that came free with the game show but she weighs considerably more.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    the_jaffa said:
    I feel more and more out of the norm for not having any tattoos at all.
    I get the impression (entirely unsupported by evidence) that they're starting to become a little less popular.  I know footballers are all covered in them and lots of women in their 30s and 40s have one tiny tattoo on a wrist or an ankle, but nevertheless they seem slightly less ubiquitous than they were a decade ago.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3169
    Blur’s bass botherer, Alex James is a purveyor of fine cheesy comestibles,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom