Fascinating trivia about musicians

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    Fred Durst was actually a biochemistry major and co-authored several influential papers on genome editing grains.
    Pretty sure this isn’t true. Are you confusing him with Dexter Holland of The Offspring, who has a PhD in molecular biology (specifically, protein-coding regions of HIV genomes)?
    fine...but my other 2 are totally legit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:
    Rod Temperton
    That was my pc doing some spell check and I missed it - I knew it was Temperton

Apart from my mum and gran, he is probably the best thing to come out of Grimsby
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    There's a video of him doing Boogie Nights with Heatwave, everyone's wearing waistcoats with no shirt and he looks so out of place. He also looks like he's wearing a syrup but isn't. All in all he looks like a misplaced insurance clerk.

Can't argue with the talent, though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Kebabkid said:
    Mike Nesbit from The Monkees 
    Who?

I think that you meant Nesmith.

It is true that his mother created Liquid Paper for typing corrections.

Nominative determinacy should have had the Nesmith family making its fortune from a combination of instant coffee and potato crisps.
    Think he is credited with MTV as well.
    Yep.  The 'promotional film' for the sublime 'Rio' kicked it all off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    scrumhalf said:
    There's a video of him doing Boogie Nights with Heatwave, everyone's wearing waistcoats with no shirt and he looks so out of place. He also looks like he's wearing a syrup but isn't. All in all he looks like a misplaced insurance clerk.

Can't argue with the talent, though.
    My all time favourite UK chart single.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 3
    Brian Connolly (Sweet) was half-brother to Mark McManus, who played the eponymous detective in the Scottish TV crime series Taggart.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Graham Oliver of Saxon has a sideline as an expert on post-medieval pottery.

I first discovered this back in the late 90s when an archaeologist colleague who was also a musician (and Saxon fan) joked that it would be funny if the guy he was dropping some sherds off at for examination was the rock legend. He was beside himself the following day when he told us that indeed it was the Graham Oliver.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 3
    Graham Oliver of Saxon has a sideline as an expert on post-medieval pottery.

I first discovered this back in the late 90s when an archaeologist colleague who was also a musician (and Saxon fan) joked that it would be funny if the guy he was dropping some sherds off at for examination was the rock legend. He was beside himself the following day when he told us that indeed it was the Graham Oliver.
    I saw him on an antiques programme, long ago, talking about part of his collection.  Although when I try to remember it I get a mental image of Bobby Ball in a white leather biker jacket.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1744
    Danny1969 said:

Abba invented the Zoom band practice, well before covid times 

Anni-Frid Lyngstad was the result of a Nazi eugenics program to produce the master race.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited July 3
    Steve Cropper is said to be the most recorded guitarist of all time.
    Nile Rodgers has played on, produced or engineered over 300 TOP100 hits.
    Hal Blaine is believed to be the most recorded drummer of all time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Offset said:
    Brian Connolly (Sweet) was half-brother to Mark McManus, who played the eponymous detective in the Scottish TV crime series.
    I think the full story's quite interesting, it has that 1940s/50s twitchy-curtains kitchen-sink drama feel to it:

Connolly was born in 1945 in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire. His mother was a teenage waitress, Frances Connolly, who left him in a Glasgow hospital as an infant whilst he was possibly suffering from meningitis. The identity of his biological father was never made public. Connolly was fostered at the age of two by Jim and Helen McManus of Blantyre, South Lanarkshire and took their family name. After inadvertently discovering his lineage, he eventually reverted to the name Connolly. The McManuses were the family of Mark McManus, of Taggart fame. Both men perceived a resemblance between them, and supposed McManus's father to have also been Connolly's.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 3
    Judie Tzuke is former Eng Rugby Skipper Lewis Moody's mother in law!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rush recorded the 14 min epic Xanadu live in one take.

No overdubs. It features 14 different instruments.

(source-  Rick Beato)

edited July 3

Correct- they're on his four tits... Niall, Liam, Louis and Zayn.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Gassage said:

Tommy Tedesco was usually said to have been the most recorded guitarist of all time. Although my mate Steve (see previous long pointless unsubstantiated stories that I have posted) has outlived him by many years I'm struggling to believe that he has recorded as many songs, jingles, Zappa albums,etc,etc, as Tommy did. 
    I suspect if we could objectively measure it the answer would be some bloke making Bollywood soundtracks since the 1960s. Some of the Nashville players, some of the Jamaican musicians like Ernest Ranglin appeared on hundreds of tracks over a relatively short period of time. 
    I'll ask Steve (or Stevo as I like to call him, The Cropmeister) next time we have a catch up...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    Kebabkid said:
    Mike Nesbit from The Monkees 
    Who?

I think that you meant Nesmith.

It is true that his mother created Liquid Paper for typing corrections.

Nominative determinacy should have had the Nesmith family making its fortune from a combination of instant coffee and potato crisps.
    Nominative determinism has already been completely debunked by James Cleverly 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    Gassage said:

Tommy Tedesco was usually said to have been the most recorded guitarist of all time. Although my mate Steve (see previous long pointless unsubstantiated stories that I have posted) has outlived him by many years I'm struggling to believe that he has recorded as many songs, jingles, Zappa albums,etc,etc, as Tommy did. 
    I suspect if we could objectively measure it the answer would be some bloke making Bollywood soundtracks since the 1960s. Some of the Nashville players, some of the Jamaican musicians like Ernest Ranglin appeared on hundreds of tracks over a relatively short period of time. 
    I'll ask Steve (or Stevo as I like to call him, The Cropmeister) next time we have a catch up...
    Isn't there some sort of fact like this about Dave Peacock (of Chas & Dave fame)? Something like because he played bass on a load of tracks that have been sampled by hip-hop artists, he's played on more UK top 40 tracks than anyone else...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Gassage said:

Isn't there some sort of fact like this about Dave Peacock (of Chas & Dave fame)? Something like because he played bass on a load of tracks that have been sampled by hip-hop artists, he's played on more UK top 40 tracks than anyone else...
    Earlier on drummer Clem Cattini got a mention in this Discussion and he’s probably the most successful single musician in terms of the U.K. charts (or at least back when it was measured in sales). 
    Peacock’s playing (I’m googling now) appears on a Labi Siffre track that was sampled by Eminem, Dr Dre, P Diddy and Jay Zee so I’d say he’s at least the most heard bassist from Enfield in hip hop. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    I have his email address so I'll drop him a line.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5228
    Bob Holness played sax on Baker Street   =)