Fascinating trivia about musicians

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967
    Gassage said:
    Rush recorded the 14 min epic Xanadu live in one take.

No overdubs. It features 14 different instruments.

(source-  Rick Beato)

Did Olivia Newton John do her vocals at the same time too, or were they dubbed in later?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Regarding slightly less well
    known musicians. 

Barrie Masters, lead singer of Eddie and the Hotrods, ran a double glazing business between gigs. 

Barry Martin, aka Snails Pace Slim, was in a couple of Sa’arfend bands before The Hamsters. The Old Pals Act, with Neville Martin, the old editor of Guitarist magazine and Molten Gold, with Robin Trower’s brother Brad. Nev Martin gave/sold Slim the purple striped SG that he used for slide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 705
    Olivia Newton-John's maternal grandfather was Nobel Prize–winning physicist Max Born. Her cousin is Georgina Born,  an eminent musicologist and anthropologist, who played bass in Henry Cow. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Former Desperate Housewives star James Denton, who played plumber Mike Delfino, murdered in S8 E16, is a keen guitarist who owns a 58 Burst.

Denton plays guitar in the charity cover band Band from TV along with Hugh Laurie and Teri Hatcher  among others.They donate the proceeds of their performances and recordings to the charities of their choice. Band from TV has raised almost two million dollars for various causes.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Rod Temperton - A man few have ever heard of - A man from Cleethorpes/Grimsby who previously worked in the fish industry for Ross - Yet just about everyone on planet earth has heard some of his songs

He wrote Boogie Nights (Heatwave) Thriller, Off the Wall, Rock with you for Michael Jackson and for G Benson Give me the night - Amongst other songs
    Total hero RIP I keep meaning to get his book, maybe Xmas present this year
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3172
    Caravan guitarista Pye Hastings ran a company providing underground tunneling equipment called 'Molequip'. Drummer Richard Coughlan became landlord of the Sun Inn in Faversham and was a regular participant in that competition where they dress in funny costumes and fling themselves off the end of the pier to see how far they can 'fly. 

Both immortalised in Richard Sinclair's little ditty 'Only the Brave'.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Rob Davis of Mud with the Dangly earrings has wrote quite a few hits like can’t get you out of my head & a Sophie Ellis Porsche Boxter record (why does it feel,so good) amongst others 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    Jack White was accepted to a seminary to become a priest, but because he couldn't take a guitar amp with him he turned it down and did a business major instead. He then met and married Meg White, who obviously wasn't his sister contrary to what they claimed as part of the White Stripes.

He also did an apprenticeship as an upholsterer and had his own business, Third Man Upholstery, thusly named as he was the third upholsterer on the street. He used to leave poetry and records inside the furniture he worked on and did his receipts in crayon.

Jack and Meg divorced before their second album in 2000, and well before they became popular outside of Detroit
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    He also did an apprenticeship as an upholsterer and had his own business, Third Man Upholstery, thusly named as he was the third upholsterer on the street. He used to leave poetry and records inside the furniture he worked on and did his receipts in crayon.
    And that's why he's no longer in the upholstery business.... but their loss is indie rock's gain.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Kiwi tunesmith Neil Finn joined the All Blacks dressing room after the 2011 RWC final and sang Don't Dream It's Over.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    edited July 5
    Jack White was accepted to a seminary to become a priest, but because he couldn't take a guitar amp with him he turned it down and did a business major instead. He then met and married Meg White, who obviously wasn't his sister contrary to what they claimed as part of the White Stripes.

Jack and Meg divorced before their second album in 2000, and well before they became popular outside of Detroit
    Holy ****, I always thought they were brother sister   Then again I'm just on the outside looking in because I was never a White Stripes fan.  

I like Jack White though.  The documentary he did (American Epic Sessions) is one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen (and I'm not even into old timey Americana music).  To anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend you seek it out and add it to your lists.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Epic_Sessions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    Philly_Q said:
    And that's why he's no longer in the upholstery business.... but their loss is indie rock's gain.
    He does still do upholstery and posts about it quite a lot on Instagram, as well as taxidermy which I guess is basically reupholstering dead animals. But yes - not really in business for that any more :)
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Kiwi tunesmith Neil Finn joined the All Blacks dressing room after the 2011 RWC final and sang Don't Dream It's Over.
    And just prior to the quarter-final, James Blunt joined the England team in their dressing room and sang You're Beautiful.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16158
    BillDL said:
    Apparently while Mick Jagger was sharing a flat with Keith Richards and Mick Jones, he was studying finance at the London School of Economics and supplemented this with part-time work as a porter in a psychiatric hospital.  Stories suggest that's where he lost his virginity with a nurse in a broom cupboard (no connection with Schofield) or somewehere like that.

Supposedly Rod Stewart once worked in a funeral home and also at marking out graves in a cemetary before his career as a musician started.

My money on who he lost his virginity to is the broom
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16158
    Clint Eastwood is Stan laurel's mother in law
    tae be or not tae be
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Marvin Gaye played drums - drummer on

please me postman
    dancin’ in the street 
    fingertips
    among other tracks 

also tried/wanted to be a jazz singer before the Motown realised a pop career was going to be a strong option 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    David Bowie played saxophone 
    but he did not play on ‘walk on the wild side’ 

That was Ronnie Ross who actually taught Bowie to play the sax
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Philly_Q said:
    He does still do upholstery and posts about it quite a lot on Instagram, as well as taxidermy which I guess is basically reupholstering dead animals. But yes - not really in business for that any more :)
    That reminds me, Jennifer Batten makes glass sculptures using a technique called glass fusing and slumping. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    boogieman said:
    That reminds me, Jennifer Batten makes glass sculptures using a technique called glass fusing and slumping. 
    I believe she learnt her craft at the school run by Jenny Powell and Carol Smiley somewhere near Milton Keynes. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    boogieman said:
    I believe she learnt her craft at the school run by Jenny Powell and Carol Smiley somewhere near Milton Keynes. 
    Oh yes, they have a pottery class too, called Wheel of Fortune.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom