Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lack of Premiership/Championship threads around here...

What's Hot

Comments

• Bidley;404135" said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

Rangers dying has worked out well for everyone other than their ugly sisters across the city.

I don't know about that, Scottish football was a joke when it was the same two teams winning it every year, now there's only one who can win it! Although it's novel to see a different Scottish team get battered in the CL.
    That's a dangerous comment for an English football supporter to make!

How many English clubs are realistically going to get anywhere near winning the league this year? How are the English league champions getting on in the Champions league? ;-) in the past ten years, how many clubs have won the premier league, and for a bonus point is three from twenty more, or less, than 2 from 12? ;-)

Ask any Scottish football supporter other than those who follow the ugly sisters and they'll tell you that the footballing "armageddon" since Rangers died has been brilliant. We don't care that there's no real competition for the league - one of the gruesome twosome was going to win it anyway, it makes no difference to anyone else whether it's the green bigots or the blue ones. In the meanwhile the cup competitions have got genuinely exciting and more teams are getting a crack at Europe. Yes, only one team can win it, but frankly if we're a joke now at least we're a far more enjoyable joke than we were a few years ago!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Forge said:
     Shit week for English clubs...
    Oh I don't know, as a Man U fan I have enjoyed this week more than most this year!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    axisus said:
    Forge said:
    Oh I don't know, as a Man U fan I have enjoyed this week more than most this year!

You'll be back in the ECL pronto, how are you liking LvG so far?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Too many abbreviations for me to handle.
    My V key is broken
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2957
    edited November 2014
    How are the English league champions getting on in the Champions league? ;) in the past ten years, how many clubs have won the premier league, and for a bonus point is three from twenty more, or less, than 2 from 12?

Answer to both - better/more than the SPL! ;)

But I take your points. Nobody said the PL is the best in the world, but it is better than the Scottish leagues, from a neutral's point of view.

You're also mistaking me for a fan of a PL team (which, in fairness, I was until last May) ;) Even though we've not done well at all this season in the Championship, I've enjoyed it far more than the years we had in the PL. Every other week we'd turn out against a team and just be treated like we're there to make up the numbers.

I certainly don't miss Match of the fucking Day! The amount of key elements of the smaller team's games that would be simply ignored or glossed over is pathetic. The pundits are awful too, they only seem to do their homework on the top 6 teams. Every time they'd 'analyse' a Fulham game they'd say a variation on "Berbatov played today" and that would be it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Forge said:
    axisus said:
    Forge said:

Hmmnn ..... I though he was a great choice but my faith is finally starting to crumble a tad. If we make CL I'll be happy but quite frankly it's not looking likely. Some great players now but we need to start seeing results.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    Swansea fan.  Just hoping for a comfortable, stress-free and slightly boring mid-table finish.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    to be honest...
    RobDavies said:
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

I know @Clarky is a Millwall lad.

And @RobDavies is a Brentford lad.

there is always an upside to being a Millwall fan..

you know that life cannot get any worse.. so everywhere from here on is up.. lmao

Are you going on Saturday, @Clarky ?

I've not been to a Millwall game for a good few years now.. I don't follow footy as mush as I used to..

since around 2000, I've been getting more and more into ice hockey..

now when I watch a football match I find it all a bit slow.. it's not easy to time waste in ice hockey, so the only way to effectively count down the clock is to go attack the other team.. and I get sick of all this stupid ass falling down and diving to get a free kick.. you just don't see any of that pretence bullshit in ice hockey.. they just play the game.. sure fowls are committed, but they are real ones.. now I think that when you see the game played really well, there's no other team sport that comes close for sheer entertainment..

play every note as if it were your first
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Philly_Q said:
    Swansea fan.  Just hoping for a comfortable, stress-free and slightly boring mid-table finish.

As a welsh guy,more than happy to have as much Welsh football as poss.  The likes of Bale being worlds most expensive player and a club in the PL (last year two clubs) makes me very very happy!

Here's hoping we make the Euros and get to play/get battered by... some world class clubs.  Get the players more interested
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    Clarky said:
    to be honest...
    RobDavies said:
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

you know that life cannot get any worse.. so everywhere from here on is up.. lmao

I've not been to a Millwall game for a good few years now.. I don't follow footy as mush as I used to..

now when I watch a football match I find it all a bit slow.. it's not easy to time waste in ice hockey, so the only way to effectively count down the clock is to go attack the other team.. and I get sick of all this stupid ass falling down and diving to get a free kick.. you just don't see any of that pretence bullshit in ice hockey.. they just play the game.. sure fowls are committed, but they are real ones.. now I think that when you see the game played really well, there's no other team sport that comes close for sheer entertainment..

My kids have been to watch Basingstoke a few times and loved it.   I keep meaning to go and have a look - sounds good.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    axisus said:
    Forge said:
    axisus said:
    Forge said:

Hmmnn ..... I though he was a great choice but my faith is finally starting to crumble a tad. If we make CL I'll be happy but quite frankly it's not looking likely. Some great players now but we need to start seeing results.

@Axisus I have the feeling Moyes was never given the time or funds to be successful tbh, the culture of sacking managers is ridiculous when some players clearly don't pull their weight.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @bidley I also dislike MOTD. It's a tedious waste of money IMO. A programme of extended highlights without the inter-game filler would be far suprior. It is only slightly less tedious than that droning sports news reader on 5live breakfast introducing yet another clip of some whingeing twat of a manager at 7am.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited November 2014
    RobDavies said:
    Clarky said:
    to be honest...
    RobDavies said:
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

My kids have been to watch Basingstoke a few times and loved it.   I keep meaning to go and have a look - sounds good.

my youngest plays for a Rec team in Slough.. it's awesome fun..
    we're Sheffield Steelers fans.. on occasion we drive up to Coventry when the Steelers play away there [cos it's easier than going to a home game]..

we go to the odd Bracknell Bees game too [cos it's just up the road], not cos we're fans, but just to enjoy the game as neutrals..

once in a blue moon I get over to Dallas Texas to see my team [Dallas Stars].. which is always awesome..

I saw almst every game in the Olympics [I'm a Canada fan].. and I watch most World Championships games [which is every year]..

it's an awesome game.. fast, aggressive, immensely skillful, very tactical

play every note as if it were your first
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Everton are poo!   (Thread back on track)          
    :)
  • Bidley said:

Answer to both - better/more than the SPL! ;)

But I take your points. Nobody said the PL is the best in the world, but it is better than the Scottish leagues, from a neutral's point of view.
    Well, you'd hope so, with ten times the population and about a gazillion million times the money in the league. There'd be something seriously wrong if it wasn't better. :D

Still, Scotland must be doing something right because our attendances (relative to population) are huge. Hopefully now is the time for someone to finally break the old firm duopoly---Rangers are an absolute basketcase of a club with a clueless manager and Celtic have lost their way without their big rival to push them. Long may it continue! 
  • Another West Brom fan here. Am very much enjoying this season in the same way I enjoyed the world cup, in that I expect precisely nothing of my own team so can just enjoy the footballing spectacle going on around us (but not through the fish eye of MOTD, there are too many things i dislike about that programme to list).

LIke another Baggie said earlier in the thread I too was completely non-plussed by Alan Irvine's appointment for us, but I can honestly say he has so far failed to make any impression on me whatsoever either way. He seems nice enough but not particular distinctive in any way and I think the teams style and performances this year have also reflected that. There's none of the "flashy football but no shots on goal" of Mowbray's era, there's not the resilience of Hodgson's management, there's not the "we'll just do the same thing till it might work a bit maybe" of di Matteo, but all in all we're doing well enough for a club our size (ie we are above the Vile) even if we are pretty dull and non descript.

One thing I have wondered though, is when did the Premier League suddenly have a name change to EPL? Is it to make it sound like NFL or NBA? Is it something from Fifa on the Playstation? It sounds too much like VPL for me

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I'm a Villa fan, passed down from my Brummie mum and her Dad before her. Makes a change being down south to support a non-London team.

Frustrating season, but I fell out of love a bit with football since the Olympics - athletes at the top of their game, rather than fools being 'tripped up' by the smallest breath of wind. I hate pulling shirts and diving. Really ruined the game for me.

Nice to see clubs at the top that aren't the usual suspects. Boring when money just wins everything.
  •  Makes a change being down south to support a non-London team that isn't Man Utd
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sunderland supporter exiled in London. Went to my first match in 1983 when I was a bairn. We have been shite all my life so my expectations are always monumentally low.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

^^My first trip to Upton Park was against Sunderland.

Steve Bould got sent off (for headbutting Paolo Wanchop), Kevin Phillips scored and (IIRC) Paolo Wanchop got our equaliser.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)