Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Just watching Liam at Reading on iplayer... kids the age I was getting into Oasis singing along to Slide Away...

These gigs are going to be huge!!
    DiscoStu said:
    Definitely Maybe released 29 August 1994...

Announcement due next day or so, you may be right.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1938
    There’s an announcement tomorrow morning at 8am
    Announcement tomorrow 8am, was at the end of Liams Reading set...
    euan said:
    There’s an announcement tomorrow morning at 8am
    Snap ;)
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1116

"Something" to be announced tomorrow at 8am. However, it could just be the release of the 30th anniversary edition of the album. It's released on Friday 30th Aug, and will contain the first version of definitely maybe that was scrapped before it was re-recorded. It's mentioned in that recent interview with Noel Gallagher.

The reunion rumours could just be clickbait crap. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, that's the world we live in now. News media don't know shit about anything. Just copy and paste from each other what "may" happen. 

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1200
    edited August 26
    I will be massively surprised and a wee bit disappointed if Noel has gone back on his initial "never" stance. I really thought he would have followed in Weller and Marr's footsteps.

But I guess he lost a sizeable chunk of his money with the divorce (and reading between the lines the divorce rocked him a bit as he didn't see it coming).

I do wonder if this is fuelled by the new songs he has been writing as well. He mentionned last year after the divorce that he was writing an acoustic album which he scrapped and said he said he was writing big rock tunes for the first time since Oasis. Maybe he felt they could be a new Oasis album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1116
    Agree with some of the other comments here. I find it hard to get excited about a reunion. Cost of tickets and Liam's voice thesedays, nah, not for me. Probably just watch it on youtube if it happens. I can understand younger people wanting to see them who weren't around then, but I'm old enough to have enjoyed them in the 90's, and got my memories of that time.   
    LPManic said:
    But I guess he lost a sizeable chunk of his money with the divorce (and reading between the lines the divorce rocked him a bit as he didn't see it coming).

I do wonder if this is fuelled by the new songs he has been writing as well. He mentionned last year after the divorce that he was writing an acoustic album which he scrapped and said he said he was writing big rock tunes for the first time since Oasis. Maybe he felt they could be a new Oasis album. 
    Noel wrote one of the best songs he ever wrote about his divorce, then refused to ever play it live so the divorce certainly rocked him.

For me Oasis have always been about the opposite of being cynical, so I refuse to ever be cynical about anything they do, so if they get back together and make a new album of Noel songs... get fucking in!!! :)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    Just watching Liam at Reading on iplayer... kids the age I was getting into Oasis singing along to Slide Away...

DiscoStu said:

I've got that on now. 

Yeah, surprised to see a few younger fans singing along.
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28601
    Kurtis said:

DiscoStu said:

I've got that on now. 

I don’t keno why this surprises people. You wouldn’t go to a Paul McCartney concert and expect only folks over 65 to be there and know the words 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kurtis said:
    I've got that on now. 

Liam is huge with the current generation.

It's what always propelled Oasis, the simple deep down pleasure of some lads (or lasses) pumping out simple rock and roll, without pretension.

Liam just GETS it, more than Noel does.  Love them both deeply though.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Hopefully it's just an announcement tomorrow with tickets on sale later in the week, otherwise the internet might melt down.

Wish they'd go back to the old days of having to physically buy the damn things so it doesn't favour the touts and bots.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:

DiscoStu said:

I've got that on now. 

I don’t keno why this surprises people. You wouldn’t go to a Paul McCartney concert and expect only folks over 65 to be there and know the words 
    I think the fact it's always been fashionable to be "anti-Oasis" among certain types of people makes some forget just how huge and essential Oasis and indie rock and roll generally were in the 90s. Not you Kurtis I mean BTW I really do mean generally.

Guitar based music has never had a place in the sun like it since, not even close.

Blurs Reunion last year was huge and the album brilliant and Oasis were an order of magnitude bigger than Blur ever got...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7039
    LPManic said:

First thing I'll say is I'll believe it when I see it. Second thing is that I'd be very surprised as Noel's biggest mentors Weller and Marr never went back. But Noel has more ambition (especially in terms of cash) than both of them put together so it might well happen.
    I guess it depends how you’re defining ambition. If ambition is going backwards and cashing in on nostalgia then yeah. If ambition is moving forward, working with different musicians and trying new things then no. 

I think Noel’s motivation will be purely earning cash and beating Taylor Swifts Wembley run! 

An Oasis reunion doesn’t really interest me but I think it’d be a good spotlight on bands/guitar music and great for the fans. Many who weren’t born in the 90s.

There will be an insufferable amount of bell ends with feather cuts and funny walks though. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7645
    We've been annoyed with rude drunk people in the audience at our most recent gigs of The Cure, Tool and PJ Harvey, so there's absolutely no way I'm thinking about going to see Oasis.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    edited August 26
    Kurtis said:

DiscoStu said:

I've got that on now. 

Well, you've got to wonder, if Oasis came along just now would they be as popular? 

While watching it I was quite aware that this is now a middle aged dude, in a funny hat, singing old rock songs, not especially well, from 30 years ago. He looked like someone off badger baiting or something. 
    And he ain't no Beatle 

I seen a young girl with a nirvana t-shirt on the other day and I kinda double taked. Just not very common these days.
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • euaneuan Frets: 1938
    Kurtis said:

I seen a young girl with a nirvana t-shirt on the other day and I kinda double taked. Just not very common these days.
    They sell them in H&M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    We've been annoyed with rude drunk people in the audience at our most recent gigs of The Cure, Tool and PJ Harvey, so there's absolutely no way I'm thinking about going to see Oasis.
    Side topic for sure but yes - the number of people at gigs who seem to spend a lot to be insensible the whole night is ridiculous.

Ironically, the current generation are stunningly smart, clean living, gym nuts for the most part, which I find a hilarious contrast with my generation where all life was a flow chart that led to lager.

Just a few twats in any generation, but yes, for some reason people do seem to see Oasis and Liam gigs as an alternative to being obnoxious in the pub.

Iamnobody said:
    I guess it depends how you’re defining ambition. If ambition is going backwards and cashing in on nostalgia then yeah. If ambition is moving forward, working with different musicians and trying new things then no. 
    That's nonsense - Noel has done that his whole career, from the Chemical Brothers onwards.  The fact that both Oasis and the Chems referenced the Beatles heavily in their music... now he's included all kinds of influences, to huge effect, the strings on his last solo album often had a lovely French cafe vibe to them.

Noel solo is a very different sound to Oasis Noel - but he writes nice rock and roll songs - why do people expect him to suddenly turn into Radiohead?  Who are these bands who Noel should be saying "I should be more like them"...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    euan said:
    Kurtis said:

They sell them in H&M
    Was going to say - Nirvana t-shirts are everywhere.

Kurt would have hated it - but Nirvana have become the "brand" behind a certain sort of style, think Avril Lavigne in 2002.

It's also possible the kid in question, to be fair, has looked back to the early 90s on Spotify and correctly identified one of the finest rock albums ever made, and one of the best "mis-rock" follow ups as well...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10922
    It's a different world now for sure. At the time the mainstream radio dictated what people listened to, and for a while music was incredibly boring. Oasis broke at exactly the right time. The combination of in your face overdriven bar chords and simplistic but catchy songs sung by a guy who looked good and didn't give a f#ck was a breath is fresh air. I was instantly hooked and in 94 didn't listen to anything other than Oasis for months. 

Music is fragmented now. So there's never going to be that kind of big thing again in quite the same way. 

I still listen to Oasis now but prefer the early stuff with McCarroll ... yeah I know Whites the better drummer technically but McCarroll was the best Oasis drummer. Less skill and finesse but more attitude. Likewise Bonehead ... Sometimes a band really is the sum of its parts and changing even one member dilutes it. Bass wise it was mainly Noel playing on the records according to books I have read but Guigan played bass just fine in the less revealing live arena. 

www.2020studios.co.uk