Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    edited August 26
    euan said:
    Kurtis said:

I seen a young girl with a nirvana t-shirt on the other day and I kinda double taked. Just not very common these days.
    They sell them in H&M
    Was going to say - Nirvana t-shirts are everywhere.

Kurt would have hated it - but Nirvana have become the "brand" behind a certain sort of style, think Avril Lavigne in 2002.

It's also possible the kid in question, to be fair, has looked back to the early 90s on Spotify and correctly identified one of the finest rock albums ever made, and one of the best "mis-rock" follow ups as well...

I'm sure there could be any number of reasons why she was wearing it.
    I assumed she was a fan. I'm a big fan of Nirvana myself. 

The rest of her clothes were a bit more goth like iirc. Not very grunge.
    This probably isn't the most fashionable part of the world tbf.

Can't say I've ever been in an "h&m".
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Kurtis said:

The rest of her clothes were a bit more goth like iirc. Not very grunge.
    Yup, like I said, the style to me screams "Avril Lavigne 2002"... YMMV...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Well that explains that then.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5405
    I can't believe anyone cares about **checks notes** really popular band getting back together.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Avril Lavigne is great though, for a vampire to risk THAT much direct sunlight is always brave as well.  She must do the sunscreen trick from Blade...

I refuse to believe in other reasons why the girl simply doesn't fucking age... ;)
    Hang on... why are we discussing Lavigne now... my fault...

If I wasn't watching Last Dinner Party at Reading (Emily might just be the indie rock guitarist of her generation) I'd be blasting out some Oasis...

... well through headphones as Mrs Ed is sitting playing Sea of Thieves...
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    I was slightly late to Oasis as I was already deep into the Paisley Underground bands by then. They led me away from The Beatles and towards Dylan and Young.

I really like the first two Oasis albums and the third is pretty good. I lost interest after that, still dipped in and out.
    I agree that Liam is probably the only truly great rock 'n roll front man we have left in the UK.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Liam documentary on Netflix, I don't think he's a bellend anymore.

In terms of Nirvana t shirts on young girls and boys, I've seen several lately, a notable one being waiting at a roundabout for a double decker bus to go by and seeing a boy about eight years old wearing one whilst pressing his face against the window and giving all and sundry the finger.

The previous Mrs J bought some Ramones logo PJ's for our Daughter. Said Daughter bought me a Ramones compilation cd for xmas some years later.

Mrs J saw them at Knebworth back in the day, it took four hours to get out of the car park. I'm looking forward to watching on the telly, I've never been to a stadium gig and I never will.
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 839
    I feel great that I can do the old man thing about this news: not interested at all in this reunion & I'm really bored of the last 10 years 'will they won't they' kinda stuff.

I saw them in 2000 at the old Wembley with Doves & Happy Mondays.  My friends were big fans so we queued up early & sprinted across the pitch to get to the front enclosure thing. All 18 year old me remembers was getting blind drunk, Doves being the most dull thing I'd ever heard, Happy Mondays being incredible, and Oasis playing songs. It was all very uninspiring. I'd gone off them by the time Be Here Now came out, so I probably wasn't the target audience.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2492
    Good for them getting their retirement funds topped up. Anoraks ciggy packs and lad cracks. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7039
    edited August 26

Iamnobody said:
    I guess it depends how you’re defining ambition. If ambition is going backwards and cashing in on nostalgia then yeah. If ambition is moving forward, working with different musicians and trying new things then no. 
    That's nonsense - Noel has done that his whole career, from the Chemical Brothers onwards.  The fact that both Oasis and the Chems referenced the Beatles heavily in their music... now he's included all kinds of influences, to huge effect, the strings on his last solo album often had a lovely French cafe vibe to them.

Noel solo is a very different sound to Oasis Noel - but he writes nice rock and roll songs - why do people expect him to suddenly turn into Radiohead?  Who are these bands who Noel should be saying "I should be more like them"...?
    It’s not nonsense. It’s a specific comment to using the term ‘ambition’ to describe the reformation of a band versus the refusal to do it. Did you read the context or just a jump in to defend your hero?

And as for fucking Radiohead where have you pulled that from? Your response is nonsense mate. Anyway you’ve replied to nearly every comment on here so carry on - I can’t be arsed to engage further as I’m really not that interested. Like I said, overall I think it’d be a good thing. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7645
    Oasis were the band that started it all for me when I must have been about 5.
    I was obsessed for quite a bit but then I was off on The Beatles and Michael Jackson and then metal and they went forgotten.
    I've listened to the first 2 albums again recently and they don't make me feel the same at all, but I like thinking about that time.
    My favourite was asking my mum why they were never on Blue Peter? It's always Charlotte Church.
    "Because they're disgusting. They'd spit on the Blue Peter floor". 
    edited August 26
    I think Oasis have much more in common with glam rock than the beatles. 
    Liam is like a mixture of Marc bolan and noddy holder (minus the song writing skills  ;) )
    The motto is keep it simple and play it loud!
    Iamnobody said:

Iamnobody said:
    I guess it depends how you’re defining ambition. If ambition is going backwards and cashing in on nostalgia then yeah. If ambition is moving forward, working with different musicians and trying new things then no. 
    That's nonsense - Noel has done that his whole career, from the Chemical Brothers onwards.  The fact that both Oasis and the Chems referenced the Beatles heavily in their music... now he's included all kinds of influences, to huge effect, the strings on his last solo album often had a lovely French cafe vibe to them.

Noel solo is a very different sound to Oasis Noel - but he writes nice rock and roll songs - why do people expect him to suddenly turn into Radiohead?  Who are these bands who Noel should be saying "I should be more like them"...?
    It’s not nonsense. It’s a specific comment to using the term ‘ambition’ to describe the reformation of a band versus the refusal to do it. Did you read the context or just a jump in to defend your hero?

And as for fucking Radiohead where have you pulled that from? Your response is nonsense mate. Anyway you’ve replied to nearly every comment on here so carry on - I can’t be arsed to engage further as I’m really not that interested. Like I said, overall I think it’d be a good thing. 
    I quoted the context - and explained what I was saying - if you want to throw your toys out of the pram because I thought your opinion as it read to me was nonsense, go ahead bro.  Could just be a misunderstanding of course...

I'm pretty tired after years of people saying it with everyone implying Noel should have been "moving forwards" and "working with different musicians" and "trying new things" without explaining it. 

If you actually meant something else then it doesn't read that way - if you don't get the Radiohead reference, the explanation lies back in 1997 when they both released albums in the same year which were of some note.

As for replying to every post... I started the thread as well... so if you want to get upset about that, then fill your boots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rze99 said:
    Anoraks ciggy packs and lad cracks. 
    That one will be on the new album :lol:
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10576
    It's gonna be biblical.

Let's have it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7039
    Iamnobody said:

Iamnobody said:

I quoted the context - and explained what I was saying - if you want to throw your toys out of the pram because I thought your opinion as it read to me was nonsense, go ahead bro.  Could just be a misunderstanding of course...

I'm pretty tired after years of people saying it with everyone implying Noel should have been "moving forwards" and "working with different musicians" and "trying new things" without explaining it. 

If you actually meant something else then it doesn't read that way - if you don't get the Radiohead reference, the explanation lies back in 1997 when they both released albums in the same year which were of some note.

As for replying to every post... I started the thread as well... so if you want to get upset about that, then fill your boots.
    Ok. I’ll play nicely, I made my can’t be arsed comment as it felt like our opinions were so far away from each other that further posts wouldn’t see any ground given. And you did seem to be quite defensive, to the point of mentioning Radiohead which Oasis fans always do.  ;)

Of course I get the Radiohead reference but it didn’t seem relevant to my post at all. 

The whole reason I posted was because I felt that stating Noel will reform Oasis because he has more ambition than Weller & Marr put together was probably stretching the definition of ambition. In my opinion. 

Unless your measure is completely motivation of making money. 

The comments about moving on and working with others were more references to what Weller and Marr have done, instead of chasing the reformation ££s rather than what Noel hasn’t. 

I didn’t criticise his solo music or query why he’s not more like Radiohead (although for complete transparency I think it’s shite). 

Does it make better sense now?

I could also put forward a lot of arguments that make a strong case that Noel doesn’t have more ambition than even Weller let alone Marr as well. 

Here’s just one. Weller split The Jam at their peak because he felt artistically constrained and wanted to achieve more, reach new audiences with a different style. Noel split Oasis when they were well past their best and he could no longer stand his brother. 

Who showed the most ambition there?

Anyway, I’m not looking to spoil anyone’s bank holiday. It’s just my opinion and you’re entitled to yours. 

And for the record I think Weller’s output has been fucking rubbish for a couple of decades now. Where as Marr is on the up, he’s developed as a front man really well. So I’m not coming at it from being a complete Weller fanboy. 

What is interesting is they both play songs from their past now at gigs, and have done for many years - so although they didn’t go full on reformation they’re still tapping into the nostalgia thing. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28601
    I'm with @darthed1981 - Noel's pushing moving forwards pretty constantly since 2009. And most of all on Who Built The Moon, which everyone complained about for being too weird. He can't win, but the complaints usually come from those who haven't actively listened to Oasis since 1997 and assume it's all identikit, which is bollocks anyway, even within the Oasis catalogue. 

He's not Bowie but who is?! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 26
    Iamnobody said:
    Does it make better sense now?
    Yes, we don't agree, but happy to agree to disagree

Enjoy your bank hol.

FWIW BTW - I love Radiohead almost as much as Oasis, sometimes more... and I love Weller and Marr as well, especially Marr.
    I'm with @darthed1981 - Noel's pushing moving forwards pretty constantly since 2009. And most of all on Who Built The Moon, which everyone complained about for being too weird. He can't win, but the complaints usually come from those who haven't actively listened to Oasis since 1997 and assume it's all identikit, which is bollocks anyway, even within the Oasis catalogue. 

He's not Bowie but who is?! 
    "Who Built The Moon?" was the album that convinced me I couldn't do without physical media - so after selling my CD collection a couple of years earlier... I started collecting vinyl :lol:

Still got all my original Oasis stuff from back in the day of course - including all the CD singles...
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2803
    edited August 26
    Love it, by hook or by crook I’ll be there. Sharing that experience with my son who idolises Liam and Noel will be worth every penny. As said before the young ‘uns love Liam.

I was just thinking. I wonder how many guitarists (some of whom may have been playing for nearly 30 years now) learnt to play along to Oasis? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom