Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1161
    I would love them to get back together. I'm one of the guitarists who was inspired to play the guitar because of Oasis in the 90's. If it wasn't for them I don't think I'd be playing now.

However, I do suspect the hype is around a boxset of unreleased songs meant for the Definitely Maybe album. I want to be wrong though and its a reunion, but with the original line up (Bonehead, Guigsy and Alan White on drums).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    I would love them to get back together. I'm one of the guitarists who was inspired to play the guitar because of Oasis in the 90's. If it wasn't for them I don't think I'd be playing now.

However, I do suspect the hype is around a boxset of unreleased songs meant for the Definitely Maybe album. I want to be wrong though and its a reunion, but with the original line up (Bonehead, Guigsy and Alan White on drums).
    That's been on pre-order for months (I know I pre-ordered it months ago) and if it is that... people will be mad!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1161

That's been on pre-order for months (I know I pre-ordered it months ago) and if it is that... people will be mad!
    Lol tomorrow is probably the release date haha.
  • ALRALR Frets: 170
    Yep, that would be me. Just wanted to learn how to play Oasis songs. Thirty years and probably about 25 grand later…
    mhep mhep mhep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 688
    Danny1969 said:
    I still listen to Oasis now but prefer the early stuff with McCarroll ... yeah I know Whites the better drummer technically but McCarroll was the best Oasis drummer. Less skill and finesse but more attitude. Likewise Bonehead ... Sometimes a band really is the sum of its parts and changing even one member dilutes it. Bass wise it was mainly Noel playing on the records according to books I have read but Guigan played bass just fine in the less revealing live arena.
    Definitely Maybe was proper lightning in a bottle, though – so much of what makes it memorable is the result of everyone being a bit clueless. I don't think they could have repeated the trick even if there had been no lineup changes and they all got on. 

For me Rock 'n' Roll Star is their best song by some distance, and that's as much about Owen Morris as the band, even if Morris was just throwing stuff at the wall like everyone else!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15186
    DiscoStu said:
    Definitely Maybe released 29 August 1994.
    So, high time for a monstrous deluxe edition re-issue boxed set with "bonus" tracks, out-takes, demos, contemporaneous live concert recordings and Troggs-style rants in Surround Sound.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6283
    I'm with @darthed1981 - Noel's pushing moving forwards pretty constantly since 2009. And most of all on Who Built The Moon, which everyone complained about for being too weird. He can't win, but the complaints usually come from those who haven't actively listened to Oasis since 1997 and assume it's all identikit, which is bollocks anyway, even within the Oasis catalogue. 

He's not Bowie but who is?! 
    Now I'm imagining Bowie with Noel's monobrow (scary!).  Oasis passed me by but some of Noel's later stuff is rather good, he certainly knows how to write catchy anthemic choruses.
    DiscoStu said:
    Definitely Maybe released 29 August 1994.
    So, high time for a monstrous deluxe edition re-issue boxed set with "bonus" tracks, out-takes, demos, contemporaneous live concert recordings and Troggs-style rants in Surround Sound.
    IIRC with DM I've bought, and hopefully still have...

The original CD
    The "DVD" (the 2DVD version of course).
    The 3CD Reissue
    The Vinyl Reissue
    ...and I have the new CD on pre-order.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4148
    I am another that got into guitar because of Oasis. There’s a lot of us.

There’s some angry anti-Oasis folk on X today… sad really.
    There’s some angry anti-Oasis folk on X today… sad really.
    Miserable bastards.

They could be going and helping promote music they love, rather than whinging about music they don't...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5093
    Kurtis said:
    euan said:
    Kurtis said:

I seen a young girl with a nirvana t-shirt on the other day and I kinda double taked. Just not very common these days.
    They sell them in H&M
    Was going to say - Nirvana t-shirts are everywhere.

Kurt would have hated it - but Nirvana have become the "brand" behind a certain sort of style, think Avril Lavigne in 2002.

It's also possible the kid in question, to be fair, has looked back to the early 90s on Spotify and correctly identified one of the finest rock albums ever made, and one of the best "mis-rock" follow ups as well...

I'm sure there could be any number of reasons why she was wearing it.
    I assumed she was a fan. I'm a big fan of Nirvana myself. 

The rest of her clothes were a bit more goth like iirc. Not very grunge.
    This probably isn't the most fashionable part of the world tbf.

Can't say I've ever been in an "h&m".

Never mind...
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1923
    I first saw Oasis in late 93, saw then again in summer 94(both times at the Riverside in Newcastle) then at Loch Lomond in 96. 

That’ll do me. Not really fussed about going to see them this time round but hope that those who didn’t get to see them then do
    prowla said:
    Kurtis said:
    euan said:
    Kurtis said:

I seen a young girl with a nirvana t-shirt on the other day and I kinda double taked. Just not very common these days.
    They sell them in H&M
    Was going to say - Nirvana t-shirts are everywhere.

Kurt would have hated it - but Nirvana have become the "brand" behind a certain sort of style, think Avril Lavigne in 2002.

It's also possible the kid in question, to be fair, has looked back to the early 90s on Spotify and correctly identified one of the finest rock albums ever made, and one of the best "mis-rock" follow ups as well...

I'm sure there could be any number of reasons why she was wearing it.
    I assumed she was a fan. I'm a big fan of Nirvana myself. 

The rest of her clothes were a bit more goth like iirc. Not very grunge.
    This probably isn't the most fashionable part of the world tbf.

Can't say I've ever been in an "h&m".

Never mind...
    In Utero...

oh wait, that doesn't work does it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My main concern, apart from being exposed to Oasis mania, is if Andy Bell is involved, I hope it doesn’t derail Ride in anyway. 

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1545
    The people going in to Wembley Stadium on the 5th of the 10 nights aren't thinking about who the bass player is, the divorce, the beef between the brothers, pay checks, retirement plans for ageing rockers and whether they jumped the shark after Morning Glory.

It's a communal singalong to the music of their youth along with their pals, kids and 1000s of others surrounding them. A few beers (and other chemicals), Liam and Noel belting out urban hymns above the deafening din.. In a way the distant dynamic duo on the video screens are merely ringmasters.

No different to the Swifties in their thousands swapping charm bracelets and wearing pink cowboy hats whilst Taylor struts up and down the runway performing the soundtrack to their lives that they so connect to.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28601
    CaseOfAce said:

It's a communal singalong to the music of their youth along with their pals, kids and 1000s of others surrounding them. A few beers (and other chemicals), Liam and Noel belting out urban hymns above the deafening din.. In a way the distant dynamic duo on the video screens are merely ringmasters.

I'm pretty sure they'll be doing Morning Glory, but if the Verve want to support I'm 1000% in :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AornicAornic Frets: 664

Maybe Liam can hire at least two people for tea this tour? ;)

I've been really into Oasis since 2003 and was quite saddened when they imploded in 2009. It'd be good to see them reform and do it again, even if the motivation is quite blatant. I don't think I'll be going though, but I'll be checking out the YouTube bootlegs.

A guitar nerd thought: I do hope Noel pulls from the moment he was having during the TPS interview to bring back the old rig and tone and play some lead again. Bonehead playing loud barre chords with Noel running a Space Echo in front of a cranked Marshall was a glorious atmospheric sound with a lot of attitude. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1200
    My main concern, apart from being exposed to Oasis mania, is if Andy Bell is involved, I hope it doesn’t derail Ride in anyway. 

I very much doubt he will be. It’ll be the HFB plus Noel and Liam.
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 190
    edited August 26
    I was perhaps 13 when Definitely Maybe came out and I pretty much wore the CD out over the following year. Now when I look back on those days, I can see that bands then had a sense of entitlement and nonchalance that made them exciting. I guess you might call it a sense of ‘rock n roll’ or perhaps punk…they acted like they deserved the adulation and didn’t give a damn about the press. This went for many bands from Blur to Massive Attack. Nowadays, young bands seem to be grovelling and apologetic, and desperate for acceptance. Please like and subscribe. Obviously it’s all the record industry’s fault and ultimately, Napster. 

That’s the really refreshing thing about Sleaford Mods - they have some of that swagger. But then they are nearly as old as Oasis et al anyway! 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12630
    I saw them at the Hacienda, Shaun Ryder fell down the stairs, I remember that more than anything. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"