• OffsetOffset Frets: 13725
    Offset said:
    <hilarious meme>

Fisherman with big fish - Pike Esox Lucius isolated on white

Reel him in @Offset ;
    I have no need dear boy.

Ed?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure what anyone expects the watchdog or government to do. 

As Ticketmaster point out - train companies and airlines do exactly the same. Legally this is exactly the same, even if morally it does suck. 

The public can fix it by refusing to pay, but I think that's about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    <hilarious meme>

Reel him in @Offset ;
    I have no need dear boy.

Ed?!
    It was meant mostly in jest and good humour from both sides I thought...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20452
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    <hilarious meme>

Reel him in @Offset ;
    I have no need dear boy.

Ed?!

Don't tell him Pike...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    <hilarious meme>

Reel him in @Offset ;
    I have no need dear boy.

Ed?!

Don't tell him Pike...
    Oh do fuck off @Kittyfrisk ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I shall place your request on the 'pending consideration' pile  B-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1642
    edited September 5
    Not sure what anyone expects the watchdog or government to do. 

As Ticketmaster point out - train companies and airlines do exactly the same. Legally this is exactly the same, even if morally it does suck. 

No. You don't queue up for hours, find the price has skyrocketed only when you reach booking stage , and get given 2 or so minutes to decide whether to book airline/train tickets or hotel rooms do you. In those scenarios, buyers can see the prices in advance while browsing. Don't like the price? Look elsewhere. You get given a proper informed choice without pressure. 

The minimum they should do to be more fair to fans is to display the price increases WHILE people are in the queue. That is minimal effort on their part to implement. But the ideal solution is to do away with this dynamic pricing BS altogether. In today's day and age, a company as big as Live Nation have or should have analysts or actuaries who can predict demand and set prices accordingly and leave it at that. It's how it's always been done. These companies don't just set ticket prices out of thin air.  So to increase prices within a few hrs because they say they were "surprised" by the sudden demand is absolute garbage and lies. Its nothing but greed, no two ways about it. 

That comparison that Ticketmaster used as justification is not even close to a like for like comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder what the settings are…?

• Paul Heaton (Housemartins) has forced a £35 ticket price cap on his arena tour.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13725
    Don't carp on about it - you'll fall off your perch.
    Offset said:
    Don't carp on about it - you'll fall off your perch.
    I'll de-scale the matter.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1259
    Ok I'm issuing a formal fish pun warning here. All fish puns were purged and contained in the following thread some time ago so that we wouldn't have to do this any more:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/234507/fish-puns/p1

Come on, we are better than this. 

• I didn’t expect this thread to flounder on fish puns.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1751

Come on, we are batter than this. 

FTFY
    Dont worry, be silly.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1259
    swiller said:

FTFY
    Pollocks. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1200
    If you want to go then buy a ticket. Pay the amount you want to pay. If you don’t want to go then don’t buy a ticket. End of.
  • Ireland has already banned resale above face value and are seeking to amend the same legislation to combat this. I believe Ticketmaster does follow the current regime on resale there (don’t forget they own a big chunk of that market) so this shows they may have to comply with a given territory’s rules.

I’ve long been sceptical though of a government’s willingness to act rather than talk on things like this. I imagine there will be a lot of lobbying pressure and possible legal challenges. I’d also expect TM to try to find a loophole around anything announced, which I suspect would be easier with surge pricing than resale.

Can you imagine surge pricing be accepted by customers in a supermarket queue? It’s bonkers. Amazon do it too. If there’s ever very limited stock, particularly on items with a marketplace seller, they jack the price. I see this a lot with physical music, particularly vinyl records.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 688
    Not sure what anyone expects the watchdog or government to do. 

No. You don't queue up for hours, find the price has skyrocketed only when you reach booking stage , and get given 2 or so minutes to decide whether to book airline/train tickets or hotel rooms do you. In those scenarios, buyers can see the prices in advance while browsing. Don't like the price? Look elsewhere. You get given a proper informed choice without pressure. 

The minimum they should do to be more fair to fans is to display the price increases WHILE people are in the queue. That is minimal effort on their part to implement.
    Agree that vs air/train tickets there's a disgraceful lack of transparency – but I don't think providing real-time information would make people less frustrated. The customer experience is totally different because in the case of something like train tickets people are almost never trying to buy all at once.

If there were 100 tickets for an event available from the box office only, with first person in the queue paying £1 and the last paying £100, you'd think: 'That's a shitty policy,' but you'd turn up, see 37 people standing in line already and accept that your ticket was going to cost £38.

From the point of view of the tens of thousands who log on to Ticketmaster the moment tickets go on sale, they're ALL first in the queue. Some combination of internet connections and computer systems dictates their position in the queue, but it feels like total bullshit to log on as promptly as humanly possible and still find yourself 11,000 places back.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9058
    swiller said:

FTFY
    Pollocks. 
    I’ll have to mullet over :expressionless: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 377
    dano said:
    Anyone noticed yet that since Oasis announced a reunion and  creamed in £225M in revenue that not a single picture of Noel and Liam together has been published ?
    Supposedly Liam has been relaxing in the South of France and Noel been in his studio.