Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Aornic said:
    Aornic said:
    Indeed. I had the 20th anniversary version and that felt chock full of additions but this is a revelation. 

Ahh yes - the "Chasing the Sun" reissues.

Such a shame they stopped at Be Here Now, I guess there just wasn't enough extra material once you hit SOTSOG.

Oasis are one of a tiny handful of bands I buy whatever they reissue... thought I bet Mrs Ed wishes it was fewer! :lol:
    There was this though 
    Ahh yes - there were some brilliant B-sides throughout the album eras.

I especially love the Hindu Times B-sides as well - Just Getting Older and Idlers Dream.

As I said - they should have kept going with the Chasing The Sun series - I'd have bought them all :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1645
    Anyone noticed yet that since Oasis announced a reunion and  creamed in £225M in revenue that not a single picture of Noel and Liam together has been published ?

dano said:
    Anyone noticed yet that since Oasis announced a reunion and  creamed in £225M in revenue that not a single picture of Noel and Liam together has been published ?

Yes there have - there is a photoshoot out there which was done a few weeks ago...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/new-oasis-behind-scenes-noel-33573624
  • dano said:

Yea it's because their safe is off limits to the media. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 1
    dano said:

That's pretty funny dude... :lol: 

Of course in reality he'd be jumping onto thousands of tonnes of solid metal, and suffer horrific injuries...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When will the salt-of-the-earth Gallaghers break their media silence?
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 145
    dano said:

Of course in reality he'd be jumping onto thousands of tonnes of solid metal, and suffer horrific injuries...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dano said:

Yup, that was the reference :lol: 
    A new video from James Hargreaves on Simon Price's bashing article, and the Oasis bashing "hobby" in general...

• AornicAornic Frets: 664
    edited September 2
    A new video from James Hargreaves on Simon Price's bashing article, and the Oasis bashing "hobby" in general...

Content-brain caused this video, a very YouTuber move in the face of an opinion piece in a publication that had another opinion piece by someone defending Oasis' place in rock history just some days afterwards - someone who met Noel when he was a roadie.

The guy on Youtube summed up Noel's comments on Miliband and Corbyn as "different views" and said Oasis and its fanbase was left of centre.

I'd say that was the case when Noel penned Up in the Sky and Cigarettes and Alcohol, but not so much now. As for the fanbase claim, both sides are wrong about it because it's just so vast and far-reaching both in the UK and especially worldwide. Turns out people like a catchy melody delivered with conviction, who knew?

And the brothers certainly don't need a half-hour outrage-views-farming video defending them. They dished it out for decades, they bloody well can take it too. They had far less reason or context for their slagging off of others too than pointing at comments they've made in the past that were rather shitty. 

Edit: I didn't really make my point clear. I'm saying that the original article didn't move the needle on anyone's opinions of Oasis and just seemed like the journalist venting. I, personally, love the band's musical output but my mates hate them for various reasons. Musically, you either get it or you don't and it seems a lot of Gen Z has got it and were excited by Liam's gigs and the reunion. I just think career-Youtubing over a non-issue article is blatant in its goals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Aornic said:
    Content-brain caused this video, a very YouTuber move in the face of an opinion piece in a publication that had another opinion piece by someone defending Oasis' place in rock history just some days afterwards - someone who met Noel when he was a roadie.

And the brothers certainly don't need a half-hour outrage-views-farming video defending them. They dished it out for decades, they bloody well can take it too. They had far less reason or context for their slagging off of others too than pointing at comments they've made in the past that were rather shitty. 
    I'm not so sure - I've followed JH for ages - I think he's right, the first Grauniad article was slagging off a stereotype of an Oasis fan, and that's who JH is defending as much as Oasis themselves.  The terrible sin of being a working-class lad from Manchester, in the eyes of someone who fell in with the Manics, not Oasis.

I don't think the other Grauniad article had been published when JH was working on the video I suspect.

You're right overall - Oasis have such broad appeal they do have fans all the way from Corbynites to Tories and everything in-between, simply because of the choons, and two multi-millionaires who just got way richer probably don't give a toss what someone in the Guardian thinks, let alone need someone sticking up for them!

I'm definitely getting bored with the sport of Oasis-bashing from people at this point - especially when people get all offended when the poked dog bites them - I suspect many fans who have been stereotyped as lager-louts are even more fed up at this point.
    Aornic said:

I'm not so sure - I've followed JH for ages - I think he's right, the first Grauniad article was slagging off a stereotype of an Oasis fan, and that's who JH is defending as much as Oasis themselves.  The terrible sin of being a working-class lad from Manchester, in the eyes of someone who fell in with the Manics, not Oasis.

I don't think the other Grauniad article had been published when JH was working on the video I suspect.

You're right overall - Oasis have such broad appeal they do have fans all the way from Corbynites to Tories and everything in-between, simply because of the choons, and two multi-millionaires who just got way richer probably don't give a toss what someone in the Guardian thinks, let alone need someone sticking up for them!

I'm definitely getting bored with the sport of Oasis-bashing from people at this point - especially when people get all offended when the poked dog bites them - I suspect many fans who have been stereotyped as lager-louts are even more fed up at this point.
    I'd advise going with the band's spirit of liking what you like, being who you like and not giving a toss then. ;)

It's easier that way, then you can chuckle at Liam saying he didn't mind wearing masks after Noel whined about them. I've found the brothers deeply unserious at several points, and it can sometimes be funny in a "did he really say that?" kind of way but at other times quite cringeworthy. You take the bad with the good and crack on. 

The YouTuber tricks really did annoy me though, shame because I liked some of his other videos. Using a stock clip of a toddler crying during one segment for example. I really don't want Oasis to become drawn into the clickbait culture war YouTube space and I wish people could ignore articles that are clearly labeled as one person's opinion if they strongly disagree. If there's any actual libel being done, it will be dealt with by the affronted parties. 
    Aornic said:
    I'd advise going with the band's spirit of liking what you like, being who you like and not giving a toss then. ;)
    I almost always do.

I just reserve the right to snap back after a while.
    Aornic said:
    I almost always do.

I just reserve the right to snap back after a while.
    Fair and understandable.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    edited September 2
    I've not really seen that much "Oasis bashing" tbf. 
    They're obviously pretty marmite though so bound to get different extremes. Id say I'm somewhere in the middle I think , I like a lot of the music,  but don't think much of the musicians. 
    For me though I'd say the gushing hero worship definitely still outweighs any of the more hateful comments  B
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13725
    edited September 2
    Having previously commented on (in my opinion) Liam's less-than-charming public persona, I'm going to add a bit of balance here.  Many years back (late '90s?), a friend of mine was in Sheringham to visit his parents over Christmas.  He went for a walk on the beach on Christmas Day and two couples approached from the opposite direction.  Turned out to be Noel + Meg plus Liam + (presumably) Patsy.  My mate (a bassist)  is not an Oasis fan by any stretch and viewed Liam as an arse.  But... apparently they were charming.  Quick chat, exchanged pleasantries and festive greetings.  Just goes to show eh?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1510
    edited September 2
    Was there a Blur backlash when they got back together? Gobby middle class southerners! Who do they think they are etc...?

Also, would Guigsy and McCarroll get any royalties for this rerelease etc?
    Was there a Blur backlash when they got back together? Gobby middle class southerners! Who do they think they are etc...?

Also, would Guigsy and McCarroll get any royalties for this rerelease etc?
    Guigsy probably will, performers royalties. McCarroll won't as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_McCarroll#Lawsuit_against_the_band
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c20r26p7d0ro

I wonder if anything will come of this.
  • Aornic said:

Guigsy probably will, performers royalties. McCarroll won't as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_McCarroll#Lawsuit_against_the_band
    A nice little earner, and not even having to tune his guitar.