A white coffee please.

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10409
    Or just drink tea like civilized people ;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    One other thing: There is NO 'r' in "latte"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    lloyd said:
    Why not just ask for it the way they want you to? It doesn't grip anyone's shit (as far as I'm aware) to ask for a Sausage McMuffin or whatever in McDonalds, same principle here. Blood pressure is reduced everyone's happy.
    Blood pressure is probably reduced if you don't go to McDonalds either - watch Supersize Me for proof.

:)

Why would I want to bother learning all these nonsense terms for previously standard drinks? If they're too cool to interpret a simple request for a perfectly normal drink then sorry, I'll keep my blood pressure down (and my wallet more healthy too) by going somewhere else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    edited April 2015
    ICBM said:
    What do you expect if you go into an overpriced corporate hipster posing place?

I prefer not to pay through the nose for the privilege of being patronised and given drinks I didn't order, so I don't.

What's a black coffee in one of these places by the way? Just in case I ever get dragged into one by someone else who is paying.

what's a black coffee? You know it's not that simple. Tiny black coffee is an espresso, double that for an espresso dopio (spll?), add hot water for an Americano but then there are usually different sizes ( all in Italian), you might want a extra shot ( of espresso) and you might want a different type of espresso to start with.
    The woman in front of me yesterday had a skinny chai latte. I think that's spiced tea but then latte is coffee. Really, what the hell was it she ordered?
    I like a cortado, basically the most pretentious sounding thing they do in Costa, but I think with skinny chai latte she upped that game.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    ICBM said:
    What's a black coffee in one of these places by the way? Just in case I ever get dragged into one by someone else who is paying.

See my first post - apparently it's known as a 'white coffee'.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    ICBM said:
    lloyd said:
    Why not just ask for it the way they want you to? It doesn't grip anyone's shit (as far as I'm aware) to ask for a Sausage McMuffin or whatever in McDonalds, same principle here. Blood pressure is reduced everyone's happy.
    Blood pressure is probably reduced if you don't go to McDonalds either - watch Supersize Me for proof.

:)

Why would I want to bother learning all these nonsense terms for previously standard drinks? If they're too cool to interpret a simple request for a perfectly normal drink then sorry, I'll keep my blood pressure down (and my wallet more healthy too) by going somewhere else.
    It's just a marketing thing, just a name of a drink, nothing to get het up about is the point I'm making. It's hardly learning the "knowledge" is it?

It's like going to IKEA and asking for the Doopluft rather than the "white box that holds tv's" I'm not sure why it pisses so many people off, it's only with coffee that people get so pissed off about it.....

Going into the places in the first place is peoples mistake. £4 for a coffee I'm guessing? You're paying for the whole "experience" rather than for some hot water filtered over some roasted beans, part of that experience is feeling exotic asking for 'grande' this and that, because people in the main are fucking idiots.....(the people who like the experience).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Hmmmm.....makes me think I might go to Lidl and practice my Austrian German.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The experience is exactly what you are paying for. IIRC staff and premises are the main costs in any coffee in a coffee shop( then VAT and somewhere down the list are ingredients)so you are paying to sit at the table for 20 minutes. I'm fine with that. Somewhere to rest, have a chat,etc. I, therefore, don't like paying for take away coffee.
    There's a hipster bar in the Northern Quarter opening (possibly open) that's going to charge by the minute rather than by the coffee. I will be avoiding this beard laden haven like the plague.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What the fuc* is a flat white?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Today would be a perfect opportunity for some English nutters dressed in Nazi Schutzstaffel and Italian fascist uniforms to sit around a halftrack and protest outside Lidl, Aldi and Starbucks with UKIP banners bearing images of WW2 with the slogans

'Think....Is this what they fought for?'

Perhaps with a accompanying image of an Italian milky coffee drink in there too somewhere.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    What the fuc* is a flat white?

it's the drink Australians invented because they didn't like the pseudo Italian names.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    edited April 2015
    viz said: See my first post - apparently it's known as a 'white coffee'. 
    Ah, but I couldn't ask for that because if the twat behind the counter thinks "aha, a grandad, he's just wanting a white coffee, so I'll give him a white coffee" then I would get a coffee with milk in it which is not what I want.

what's a black coffee? You know it's not that simple. Tiny black coffee is an espresso, double that for an espresso dopio (spll?), add hot water for an Americano but then there are usually different sizes ( all in Italian), you might want a extra shot ( of espresso) and you might want a different type of espresso to start with. 
    No, a black coffee really is that simple, and has been for decades. All the other things you listed may have their own proper names, which is fine, but they are not a black coffee.

lloyd said:
    Going into the places in the first place is peoples mistake.
    Exactly!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Costly Coffee are now doing the (I believe) Australian invented "flat white" which I've had a few times - I'm not really sure it gets all that much closer to a proper white coffee, it's kind of a bit frothy on the top, but certainly a lot less milky than a cappuccino. Quite nice anyway - anyone know what the recipe for a flat white actually is, out of interest?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    flat white is a coffee beverage invented in either New Zealand or Australia in the 1980s.[1][2][3][4] It is prepared by pouring microfoam (steamed milk with small, fine bubbles and a glossy or velvety consistency) over a single or double shot of espresso. It is somewhat similar to the traditional 5 ozcappuccino or the latte although smaller in volume, therefore having a higher proportion of coffee to milk (closer to a cortado), and milk that is more velvety in consistency – allowing the espresso to dominate the flavour, while being supported by the mil
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I had to give up coffee as it makes my IBS flare up something shocking.  It's just awful. 

My understanding is that Flat white is inbetween a cappuccino and a latte. The milks just steamed differently/less.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    edited April 2015
    The problem with having a black coffee is that you can taste the coffee.

In some places, where they use decent coffee, that's not a problem. In others (no names, but there's one that ends in "ucks" that comes to mind) where the coffee is just one ingredient to be drowned by all sorts of shite, it is. You get a cup of nasty brown fluid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey.....I suppose that I thought a flat white was the nearest shop coffee to my home made instant jobby....but reading this thread would suggest the nearest to my instant would be in fact an Americano!
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I used to be into all the fancy coffee's when i was a teenager then i realised they just tastes like sugar with a bit of coffee. 

Now i just drink black (or white as the case may be) coffee to keep me going!