A white coffee please.

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    I have been in coffee shops and seen flat whites, lattes and cappuccinos all made exactly the same way. 
    The cafe downstairs from the office at work varies significantly by person, particularly with macchiatos. Some of them have the merest dollop of foam, some of them are like a mini cappucino.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    viz said:
    Why does this phrase no longer mean anything? It used to mean a mixture of 85-90% filtered coffee with 10-15% milk. Today I got given a cup of black coffee. The bloke said I should have asked for an Americano with milk, or a Latte if I wanted milk. A "white coffee" is apparently now an Americano on its own. What's going on?
    White coffee is meaningless in hipster speak ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Even sadder is the way Europeans have submitted so silently and willingly into becoming the 53rd State of U.S.A. 
     Why are we so enthused about adopting this silly American Jargon -it has crept into every aspect of life silently and obnoxiously
    Let alone coffee -the silly business speak ;how many times do you hear the following......
    We want to ' reach out '.........to Mr Brown
    ' My bad '..........
    Young people don't date or 'go out with somebody ' ...........they are 'talking to them '
    I tried to order a burger the other day - apparently they are now called "Sliders " and what the hell is Mac and Cheese -I thought this was some kind of cheeseburger but it is,in fact, the new name for Macaroni 
    ' Clean eating ' ?? - I assume this means you don't need to wear a child's bib ....................oh well,
    I am just off to order a Skinny Americano with double shot,Amaretto slug,easy on the milk with Sacc not sugar sit down and make a few calls on my cellie.................AAARRRRGGGHH
    Isn't a slider a very, very small burger?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think it is ..............why can't it be called just that !
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Chalky said:
    If we were talking to Italian baristas @stickyfiddle, you'd have a point. But generally we are not - we're talking to folks one step up from McD staff whose knowledge of coffee is limited to matching button presses to names on the menu. ;)
    Then you're buying coffee in shitty places. I propose you start drinking tea.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dunno.

I s'pose it's just that people like to have specific words for things.

I don't like "mac and cheese" as a term though. We already have Macaroni Cheese which adequately describes the dish. Unless they're referring to the American aberration where the whole thing comes as a just-add-water packet, in which case they are performing a useful service in making sure your expectations of the dish are suitably low.

Look at all those maggotts in that rancid meat !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    WTF is that?

I believe it to be a macaroni-cheese-stuffed meatloaf.
    Vile
    Sporky said:
    Correct.

And no doubt, bleuuuuuughhhhhhh

I'd like to make it clear that I am not advocating its existence.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16398
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16398
    Obviously to follow the macaroni stuffed meatloaf a slice of pumple cake - that's pumpkin pie and apple pie baked inside chocolate and vanilla sponges.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Sporky said:
    Correct.

And no doubt, bleuuuuuughhhhhhh
    It looks like something they'd be challenged to eat on 'I'm a Celebrity'.

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Obviously to follow the macaroni stuffed meatloaf a slice of pumple cake - that's pumpkin pie and apple pie baked inside chocolate and vanilla sponges.
    By the gods!!
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    Dominic said:
    Even sadder is the way Europeans have submitted so silently and willingly into becoming the 53rd State of U.S.A. 
     Why are we so enthused about adopting this silly American Jargon -it has crept into every aspect of life silently and obnoxiously
    Let alone coffee -the silly business speak ;how many times do you hear the following......
    We want to ' reach out '.........to Mr Brown
    ' My bad '..........
    Young people don't date or 'go out with somebody ' ...........they are 'talking to them '
    I tried to order a burger the other day - apparently they are now called "Sliders " and what the hell is Mac and Cheese -I thought this was some kind of cheeseburger but it is,in fact, the new name for Macaroni 
    ' Clean eating ' ?? - I assume this means you don't need to wear a child's bib ....................oh well,
    I am just off to order a Skinny Americano with double shot,Amaretto slug,easy on the milk with Sacc not sugar sit down and make a few calls on my cellie.................AAARRRRGGGHH
    wisdom/

My Bad. That is really stupid. The more you think, the more its nonsense. Just why? my fault - isnt' that better, as in it makes sense?

I think it all stems from humans being a tribal animal, that wants to be part of a pack. We are often reluctant to make a stand, and will go along with the flow to feel we belong.

So, as a reaction to that I will purposefully be asking for a coffee with a bit of milk please. Hot, not foamy, or frothy, just a black coffee with a small jug of milk please. I'll even go as far as having some hot milk thanks.

Otherwise the whole thing will SUCK, but then I guess it will be my bad and I'll have to go reach out to the Barista and say "can I get a flat white with a side of brownie thanks..."

bollocks, all of it.