A white coffee please.

What's Hot

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    scrumhalf said:
    The problem with having a black coffee is that you can taste the coffee.

In some places, where they use decent coffee, that's not a problem. In others (no names, but there's one that ends in "ucks" that comes to mind) where the coffee is just one ingredient to be drowned by all sorts of shite, it is. You get a cup of nasty brown fluid.
    A wiz for this. There is a world of difference between what you can make yourself even with supermarket bought coffee and the shite you get in a mainstream coffee shop. The sugar and milk and syrup is there to hide how bad it is.

If you want decent coffee outisde the house im afraid youre going to have to grow a beard, get yourself a Battle Of Britain fighter pilot's hairdo, a little waistcoat, some oxblood shoes and basically go Full Hipster in a Posho Coffee Boutique.

Then you can drink coffee that civets have shat out and not look out of place

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Go and see this chap then, he'll sell you a nice steaming mug of the finest coffee know to man....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Go and see this chap then, he'll sell you a nice steaming mug of the finest coffee know to man....

http://eyeshoot.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/galleries/post-731/Al.jpgWe're back to the thing about the shits in India then?
    Hipster!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I find most takeaway coffees pretty rank to be honest, and Starbucks definitely tastes like liquid ass. If you like coffee get a good Japanese ceramic grinder (£20), a good stainless stovetop espresso maker (£30) and find a good supplier of beans, you can get high quality coffee cheaper than the Supermarkets own brands (which are crap too). If you grab 2-3 coffees a week you'll pay for your gear in no time while enjoying a much better brew but also the joy of the coffee ritual.
    What the fuc* is a flat white?

Jodie Kidd and Kate Moss come to mind...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Caught a flight out of Southend a couple of weeks ago, only option seemed to be Costalot coffee. I'm glad I can see through the scam and not frequent these consumer palaces on a regular basis.

If it makes you feel good then do it. Me, I'll avoid at all reasonable costs.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    viz said:
    Why does this phrase no longer mean anything? It used to mean a mixture of 85-90% filtered coffee with 10-15% milk. Today I got given a cup of black coffee. The bloke said I should have asked for an Americano with milk, or a Latte if I wanted milk. A "white coffee" is apparently now an Americano on its own. What's going on?

Racist!

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Forge said:
    I find most takeaway coffees pretty rank to be honest, and Starbucks definitely tastes like liquid ass. If you like coffee get a good Japanese ceramic grinder (£20), a good stainless stovetop espresso maker (£30) and find a good supplier of beans, you can get high quality coffee cheaper than the Supermarkets own brands (which are crap too). If you grab 2-3 coffees a week you'll pay for your gear in no time while enjoying a much better brew but also the joy of the coffee ritual.
    @Forge where you get a Japanese ceramic grinder for £20?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967

I drink, and make,  a lot of coffee.  I have 7* different coffee makers at home. for me there is a big difference between  espresso and filter coffee.   Part of this is usually the beans, part of it is the grind, a lot of it is the  difference between hot water passing  through grounds by the power of gravity, or steam passing through grounds under high pressure.

I am willing to paymore for a decent espresso than a decent filtered coffee because of the extra equipment and work that goes into making one.  I am happy to drink both.

after that its all marketing.   Most of these shops rely on espresso based drinks where they add water, milk or sweetener in different proportions to cover the fact most people don't like the strong coffee produced by an espresso machine.  Filter coffee is far more accessible in its purer state.

* the 7 coffee makers currently in my house

1-  espresso machine

2-  drip filter machine

3 - small stovetop espresso

4 - large stovetop espresso

5 - plunge caffetiere (the one that gets used least)

6 - Turkish coffee pan

7 - kettle

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    BigMonka said:
    Forge said:

Brown Bear, it is the Hario. Suscribe to the mailshots and you'll get 20% off offers every month of so.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    Samgb said:
    I don't know what all the different types of coffee are. White, Americano, Latte, Machiatto, others...!?!?
    White/black is a filter coffee with milk or without, Americano is a shot of espresso watered down(add milk if you like), Latte is warm milk with a shot of espresso in it, Cappuccino is frothed milk with a shot of espresso in it, Mocha is coffee/chocolate combo, Frappe = an iced coffee of some description, Macchiattos are variations on lattes with caramel, hazelnut whatever syrup added as flavouring. Have i missed anything?
    Yeah, you've missed the Twattiato.

That's the coffee carried ins a crappy cardboard cup with a crappy plastic lid, by just about everyone travelling anywhere. What's that about then? What happened to the idea of sitting down and having a quite brew??

I saw a bloke in the gym the other morning with a twattiato which he was swigging whilst pretending to lift weights.

Ponce.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Forge said:
    BigMonka said:
    Forge said:

Brown Bear, it is the Hario. Suscribe to the mailshots and you'll get 20% off offers every month of so.
    Ah ok, I was thinking that £20 was a bargain for an electric grinder, it's still a decent price for a ceramic burr hand powered one.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779

Holy Moly, this Starbucks/Costa marketing of sweetened milkshakes has got all you confused hasn't it? If there was an un-wisdom button I'd have RSI in my clicking finger. ;)

Stick to espresso.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    I always ask for a white coffee and that's what I get. I'm not aware of any cuntfuckery that has changed the description of what a white coffee is.

I think it's because I frequent budget outlets...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7380
    What the fuc* is a flat white?
    An invitation to slap a hipster
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    Iamnobody said:
    I always ask for a white coffee and that's what I get. I'm not aware of any cuntfuckery that has changed the description of what a white coffee is.

Aah, that's because of the Coffee Cuntfuckery Act 1974.
    Snap said:
    Samgb said:
    I don't know what all the different types of coffee are. White, Americano, Latte, Machiatto, others...!?!?
    White/black is a filter coffee with milk or without, Americano is a shot of espresso watered down(add milk if you like), Latte is warm milk with a shot of espresso in it, Cappuccino is frothed milk with a shot of espresso in it, Mocha is coffee/chocolate combo, Frappe = an iced coffee of some description, Macchiattos are variations on lattes with caramel, hazelnut whatever syrup added as flavouring. Have i missed anything?
    Yeah, you've missed the Twattiato.

That's the coffee carried ins a crappy cardboard cup with a crappy plastic lid, by just about everyone travelling anywhere. What's that about then? What happened to the idea of sitting down and having a quite brew??

I saw a bloke in the gym the other morning with a twattiato which he was swigging whilst pretending to lift weights.

Ponce.

So, yours is a decaf skinny frappucino then?
    Iamnobody said:

I just snorted out loud at my desk. 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Samgb said:
    Iamnobody said:

I just snorted out loud at my desk. 
    Me too, I've just snotted the froth off my "Twattiato"