Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video Killed the Video Star [A sort of Chappers Story]

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
     Philtre said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Am I the only person on this entire forum who knows sweet FA about this recent Chapman thing?
    No, I don’t either and what’s more couldn’t care less.
    Do you go to all threads, not read them then post on the last page that you know nothing about them and don't care? Strange hobby.
    It's like when people post on a thread and say "First world problems". Of course it's a fucking first world problem, it's a forum about guitars, fondue making, knitting patterns or whatever the fuck the forum is concerned with! Do these people sign up to forums that discuss world hunger and famine relief and say, "Third world problems"?
    I joined this guitar forum but it's just a load of people talking about guitars and stuff all the time. Mad world  :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
     Philtre said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Am I the only person on this entire forum who knows sweet FA about this recent Chapman thing?
    No, I don’t either and what’s more couldn’t care less.
    Do you go to all threads, not read them then post on the last page that you know nothing about them and don't care? Strange hobby.
    It's like when people post on a thread and say "First world problems". Of course it's a fucking first world problem, it's a forum about guitars, fondue making, knitting patterns or whatever the fuck the forum is concerned with! Do these people sign up to forums that discuss world hunger and famine relief and say, "Third world problems"?
    I joined this guitar forum but it's just a load of people talking about guitars and stuff all the time. Mad world  :-D
    What did you expect? 

People playing them????

we don’t do that here. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2862
    I thought he was in UFO?....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    sev112 said:
    I thought he was in UFO?....
    I always thought he wasn't a terrestrial being.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Not that I’m overly fussed one way or t’other, but there a potted history of this spat (in a few lines) somewhere?

Check the original "closed" post on the topic.. I recall there being a succint version of events..

Jeez...just found it...I genuinely CBA to trawl through the vast quantity of posts on the thread. In this case, ignorance will be bliss...
    Now 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• I have literally know idea. What did Rob do?
    I noticed he wasn't on many of the Andertons videos, but just assumed he had moved on a bit. 

I prefer Petes playing, the guy that plays acoustic is amazing as well, can not remember his name, but I did like Chappers and the Captain the videos could be pretty funny at times in the earlier days. 

If someone could sum it up, it would be most appreciated 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7220
    I have literally know idea. What did Rob do?
    I noticed he wasn't on many of the Andertons videos, but just assumed he had moved on a bit. 

I prefer Petes playing, the guy that plays acoustic is amazing as well, can not remember his name, but I did like Chappers and the Captain the videos could be pretty funny at times in the earlier days. 

Chappers, the internet sensation and guitar guru rode a wave of popular opinion via medias that are social and tubes of You, yet too close to the sun did he fly, and his wax potted pick ups did melt, and lo now he falls to earth.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited February 2020
    I have literally know idea. What did Rob do?

Literally nothing other than to not conduct his life and business practices how some incels and wannabe youtube sensations online feel he should. Broken no laws. Cheated nobody. Is satan.

Reacted to an internet pile-on when he probably shouldn't. Giving the whole thing months left of legs.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

He appears to have bought a guitar for personal use while claiming it against tax for business use.  On the face of it, that's tax evasion.

I know that wasn't the initial complaint, but it's emblematic of the hole he's dug for himself with his response.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

He appears to have bought a guitar for personal use while claiming it against tax for business use.  On the face of it, that's tax evasion.

I know that wasn't the initial complaint, but it's emblematic of the hole he's dug for himself with his response.

Bought a PRS that he said his son was going to have right? Didn't say when. Didn't say what it would be used for in the meantime. No laws broken.

It's emblematic of the sort of thing people will desperately cling to in order to legitimise their hatred of him. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • this thread will be closed in 3...2...1...

• soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

Bought a PRS that he said his son was going to have right? Didn't say when. Didn't say what it would be used for in the meantime. No laws broken.

It's emblematic of the sort of thing people will desperately cling to in order to legitimise their hatred of him. 
    His literal words - "I bought a PRS for my son.  I own a business that deals with music so I get good tax breaks on gear.  It was for my son."

Not sure where this concept of "in the meantime" comes from.  There's no evidence for that.  It was bought specifically for his son - he's so clear on this he says it twice.  Buying stuff explicitly for the personal use of family members and then claiming it against business tax is tax evasion, plain and simple. 

This is not hatred, desperate or otherwise.  It's a straightforward quote of his own words.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    edited February 2020
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

His literal words - "I bought a PRS for my son.  I own a business that deals with music so I get good tax breaks on gear.  It was for my son."

Not sure where this concept of "in the meantime" comes from.  There's no evidence for that.  It was bought specifically for his son - he's so clear on this he says it twice.  Buying stuff explicitly for the personal use of family members and then claiming it against business tax is tax evasion, plain and simple. 

This is not hatred, desperate or otherwise.  It's a straightforward quote of his own words.
    And yet...he did a video on it, which made money for his channel (and continues to do so). Ergo, part of the business and a valid business expense.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    ^^^ EXACTLY. 

Suddenly everyone is a tax evasion expert FFS. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    edited February 2020
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

And yet...he did a video on it, which made money for his channel (and continues to do so). Ergo, part of the business and a valid business expense.
    Heh.  I'd like to see someone try and justify that to the tax man.  Otherwise everyone would just buy stuff, make a video that nets them 5p and offset the cost against tax.  I'm sure you know the requirements for capital allowances, this isn't one of them.

At a massive stretch, you could attempt to argue the six minutes he talks about it on Youtube are a legitimate business expense (even though he specifically says it's for his son, again), and express that as a proportion of the rest of the lifetime of the guitar spent as personal use.  To the nearest whole number, I'd estimate this as 0%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Broken no laws. 

Heh.  I'd like to see someone try and justify that to the tax man.  Otherwise everyone would just buy stuff, make a video that nets them 5p and offset the cost against tax.  I'm sure you know the requirements for capital allowances, this isn't one of them.

At a massive stretch, you could attempt to argue the six minutes he talks about it on Youtube are a legitimate business expense (even though he specifically says it's for his son, again), and express that as a proportion of the rest of the lifetime of the guitar spent as personal use.  To the nearest whole number, I'd estimate this as 0%.
    It's not about time, it's about the profit - and given that the guitar cost less than he would've made from the video about buying the guitar...job done. And that's only the direct profit from the video.

Then you get to the argument that he could be using it for other non-video purposes which also make money (eg sessions), because he's the owner of it right now, not his son.

"Something you said in a YouTube video" is not equivalent to sworn testimony in court, and certainly not something that HMRC would use to indicate fraud. "I just said that to make the video, so that it would be interesting content, because that's my job" is enough to get around that.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Can we have a sub category just for Chappers threads? Just slam them all in there ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • How have you worked out the revenue from the video?  Five grand for a six minute video? In one tax year?  I think not.

I can just imagine the conversation with the tax man now.  "What's this £5k expense?" "Oh, that's a guitar that I bought for my son." "Right... so how is that wholly and exclusively for the use of your business?" "Because I made a six-minute YouTube video about it."  "Oh, that's all right then."  Hardly.

Whataboutery aside, he's either put it away for his son, like he's specifically said, or he's not.  If he's keeping it for himself it's pretty shitty to boast about it being a gift for his son.  If it's for his son, it shouldn't be offset against business tax, regardless of a few quid made from a video.

Right, it's nice outside and I've got work to do.  Argue amongst yourselves.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    Have we really sunk to the level of hounding a fellow musician about whether he's declared an instrument purchase correctly to the tax authorities? 

Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It seems there's a bit of debate over the intricate technicalities of tax laws.

But in real world terms, whether or not some clever lawyer(or whatever professional would deal with it) can come up with ways to twist all the various things around to avoid it being technically illegal, it's quite obvious to anyone that he's really just exploiting a loophole to get back money that he really should be paying.

I'm sure the idea of tax breaks for businesses expenses was that some people have to buy tools to enable them to do their job but that wouldn't give any pleasure to the person and they wouldn't have bought it anyway so it's unfair to charge them luxury tax on something like that.

Society went on to the point where some people can buy something and video themselves with it on the internet and make loads of money from that. It's not that the government ever decided that if someone does that then it's not a luxury, it's just that lawyers etc. were able to come up with ways to twist the laws to their own advantage.

I expect some people won't think it's immoral to do this and get the tax break - it would tie in with a fairly common belief that people should pay less tax in general. Can't argue against that, it's just a political opinion some people have and can't be wrong in my view.

Just saying that anyone who thinks it's acceptable for someone to do what he did with the tax break on that guitar really has to just be in favour of lower taxes in general - they surely can't believe that videoing a guitar for a few minutes before then using it privately for life legitimately stops it being a personal luxury item.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom