General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Yeah Doom 3 isn't fast paced.. I really enjoyed it back then.

And yes Diablo 2 will be preordered :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:
    Doom Eternal has finally hit a price I'm comfortable with.. wow... It's really something
    Green eyes! Blam! Blam! Aww sheeiit!
    Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good as the remake that came before it. Far too much of a focus on platforming and speedrunning IMO.
    Personally I think it’s one of the best Dooms ever!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    Yeah, I was meaning DOOM 2016 :)

I've been playing Quake on the Series X - never got into it when it was first released, but quite enjoying it this time around! Working my way up to diving into the Quake 2 RTX version on my laptop as well.
  • I've been playing a bit of Quake this morning, too. Seems like a lot of fun to me.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I remember playing quake on my Pentium 75 and wondering being amazed at the sheer amount of space it took up. It was 70mb.
    I've been enjoying the re-master too :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:
    mgs2 has some pacing issues, some boss encounters and stuff that go on far too long, particularly in the back end, but it ain't nearly as weirdly put together as mgs4!
    Correct owith regard to MGS4, second play through for me after 2008 first, and it's a strange set of 4 or 5 acts, which seem disjointed in terms of location. Thankfully, they're all much fun.
    beed84 said:
    bbill335 said:
    mgs2 has some pacing issues, some boss encounters and stuff that go on far too long, particularly in the back end, but it ain't nearly as weirdly put together as mgs4!
    I loved MGS2. The ending, while long, was unbelievably good! Currently on with MGS3 and waiting for things to get going.
    MGS3 takes ages to get going, but overall, it's my favourite of the old games. Stick with it, if you can.

I'm currently playing MGS5 and it's by far the most fun of them all, it's a great game. Poor story aside.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:
    Correct owith regard to MGS4, second play through for me after 2008 first, and it's a strange set of 4 or 5 acts, which seem disjointed in terms of location. Thankfully, they're all much fun.
    beed84 said:
    bbill335 said:
    I loved MGS2. The ending, while long, was unbelievably good! Currently on with MGS3 and waiting for things to get going.
    MGS3 takes ages to get going, but overall, it's my favourite of the old games. Stick with it, if you can.

I'm currently playing MGS5 and it's by far the most fun of them all, it's a great game. Poor story aside.

MGS3 is one of my all-time faves on any platform, it's just an incredibly well-made game.

I really don't understand why they took the 'survival' elements out of it for MGS4 & (particularly) MGS5. They could have made the open-world elements of the latter even more immersive again - lost opportunity for sure.
  • bbill335 said:
    beed84 said:
    bbill335 said:

MGS3 is one of my all-time faves on any platform, it's just an incredibly well-made game.

I really don't understand why they took the 'survival' elements out of it for MGS4 & (particularly) MGS5. They could have made the open-world elements of the latter even more immersive again - lost opportunity for sure.

Yes, I get that. However, I must say, MGSV is such a feature-full game already, with so much going on, I'm not sure a survival element would add any value for me, personally. Also, you can call the chopper in to get you back to mother base at any point, so survival elements would be a bit moot when you can do that. Must admit, for a 6 year old game, I'm fully immersed, again!

• MGS5 annoyed me. I wanted to love it but the gameplay never grabbed me and the story didn't seem to actually progress. 

It's the only mainline MGS I havent finished - I've completed all the others multiple times
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MGS5 annoyed me. I wanted to love it but the gameplay never grabbed me and the story didn't seem to actually progress. 

It's the only mainline MGS I havent finished - I've completed all the others multiple times

Likewise. Although I think I did actually finish it, but the ending was so forgettable/disappointing that I can't recall anything about it other than a vague recollection that you end up redoing that whole hospital escape section over again for some reason?
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3491
    edited September 2021
    Disappointed to hear that @stickyfiddle and @guitargeek62. Must admit, I'm addicted to the gameplay. The story, I agree, is forgetful and downright lazy. There's politics around why that's the case, I think...or at least, that's what I choose to believe. The alternative 'Lord of the Flies" style chapter, ending would have been the perfect way to end it, shame Kojima left the company before they could impliement it.

• @Jonathanthomas83 ;Yeah, I wanted to love it; it just felt like doing the same stuff over and over and never progressing to anything new. It's also possible I was doing something wrong and completely missed the point. I honestly can't remember! 

I don't mind open world stuff at all, I just like to have a little bit of signposting so I know what to go and do when I want to push the story forward a bit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @Jonathanthomas83 ;Yeah, I wanted to love it; it just felt like doing the same stuff over and over and never progressing to anything new. It's also possible I was doing something wrong and completely missed the point. I honestly can't remember! 

I don't mind open world stuff at all, I just like to have a little bit of signposting so I know what to go and do when I want to push the story forward a bit.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's not immediately obvious. I think you just keep doing the mission objectives until you unlock stuff. But it's not intuitive. I came at it from the viewpoint of a long time MGS fan at first and rushed the missions to get to the anti-climatic ending. But this time around, I've come back to it to just enjoy the missions, so it's a bit different and far more enjoyable this way.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12039
    1TB WD SSD for the PS5 currently in stock and the lowest price it has ever been.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08KFS6THF/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

shame the firmware still not out of Beta.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Playstation Showcase 2021 starts streaming at 9pm in case anyone is interested...

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    Just pre ordered Deathloop… looks interesting!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    March release date for Gran Turismo...

• wibble said:

I say this at risk of ridicule and I fully get that gran turismo is a racing sim...

I much prefer forza, it's just more fun. I loved the first gt (many years ago now) but each iteration just felt like exactly the same thing with better graphics.

Maybe I will be wrong with the next one?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    edited September 2021
    I absolutely prefer Forza. Horizon is fun but the normal Forza game has the right balance of realism and arcade, and I think it’s tipped towards realism. 

I remember playing the absolute crap out of Forza 2 and making emergency vehicle skins on the ingame editor, and they were downloaded thousands of times. Fun times. 
  • wibble said:

Seen this announced and thought it. 'yeah right'.

Dec 2024 probably a closer guess