Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32130
    The reconciliation between Charles' sons seems to be ongoing, wouldn't it be funny if it was only the Queen and the D of E who were racist old bastards and now they're out of the way the rest of them all get on perfectly well?

Pure speculation, naturally. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12693
    Offset said:
    I'm mildly intrigued as to how the SNP will view the Queen's death.  Will they think it's benefited their cause, or been detrimental to it?

Or won't they give a toss either way?

Judging by Charles' actions already, I'd suggest that deep divisions will remain and the monarchy's popularity will wane over the coming years. Announcing a new Prince of Wales, the day after the death of the Queen (and it was not following any regular protocol), was a deeply controversial and divisive act, done swiftly to prevent any chance of debate on the need or continuation of the title, or without any thought to the opinion of those in Wales (many will support it, but many are totally opposed to it), and done so in the time of mourning so as to prevent any objections as being 'not the right time'. To be honest, he's totally inflamed things in Wales already, and has caused outrage which will only grow anti-monarchical opinions; way to go Charlie. There will be protests if there is an investiture, as were in 1969. 
    Yep - I must admit this took me by surprise.  This is pretty piss-poor and disrespectful in my eyes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62875386
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32130
    The holder of the Prince of Wales title has always been imposed on us without our consent, what does anyone expect them to do, give us a vote on it?!

If they did that we'd probably only end up with some chump off Love Island or something anyway. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    Just had a thought, do we get another day off for a Coronation later in the year?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    p90fool said:
    The holder of the Prince of Wales title has always been imposed on us without our consent, what does anyone expect them to do, give us a vote on it?!

If they did that we'd probably only end up with some chump off Love Island or something anyway. 

stop whinging, surely a small price to pay for free prescriptions ?

on a more serious and on topic-ish note,   does this mean that Billy is now Duke of Cornishland as well ? 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Just had a thought, do we get another day off for a Coronation later in the year?
    Possibly yes but it is yet to be confirmed
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3073
    edited September 2022
    p90fool said:

Or Michael Sheen, after that speech!
  • Offset said:
    Offset said:
    I'm mildly intrigued as to how the SNP will view the Queen's death.  Will they think it's benefited their cause, or been detrimental to it?

Judging by Charles' actions already, I'd suggest that deep divisions will remain and the monarchy's popularity will wane over the coming years. Announcing a new Prince of Wales, the day after the death of the Queen (and it was not following any regular protocol), was a deeply controversial and divisive act, done swiftly to prevent any chance of debate on the need or continuation of the title, or without any thought to the opinion of those in Wales (many will support it, but many are totally opposed to it), and done so in the time of mourning so as to prevent any objections as being 'not the right time'. To be honest, he's totally inflamed things in Wales already, and has caused outrage which will only grow anti-monarchical opinions; way to go Charlie. There will be protests if there is an investiture, as were in 1969. 
    Yep - I must admit this took me by surprise.  This is pretty piss-poor and disrespectful in my eyes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62875386
    Was it just a dig at Harry?

• SporkySporky Frets: 29306
    Isn't Prince of Wales traditionally the next in line? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ewalewal Frets: 2678
    Offset said:

SNP policy is to support the monarchy. The only republican independence supporting party is the Greens. Although there is less support for the monarchy in Scotland than in the UK overall.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20186134.sturgeon-told-keep-monarchy-win-independence/
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12477
    It's been on telly all day work, how can these  reporters just keep regurgitating the same old bullshit, it's total barrel scraping "and we are here talking to the woman who has made the queen's hankies for the last 50yrs, if you could tell us just what she meant to you?..."  No one gives a fuck anymore, any feeling has been beaten out of us by this 24hr mawkish fast food fest of forced feelings.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19635
    It's been on telly all day work, how can these  reporters just keep regurgitating the same old bullshit, it's total barrel scraping "and we are here talking to the woman who has made the queen's hankies for the last 50yrs, if you could tell us just what she meant to you?..."  No one gives a fuck anymore, any feeling has been beaten out of us by this 24hr mawkish fast food fest of forced feelings.
    Orf with his head!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    I am totally respectful of the passing and the mourning period that befits a very eminent Monarch but this continual and tenuous coverage of anything remotely connectable is just dire .
    The Queen's beekeeper's 3rd cousin remembers the day he saw the Queen pick a daisy when she was just 16 years old !
    Even the umpteenth photo headshot of Charles sitting in a black car is just ridiculous.
    When are they going to interview The Groom of the Stool .

In fact ,there's a cracker for the Anti-Monarchists here ...........did you know the last Royal Groom of the Stool ( Royal Arsewiper and toilet attendant ) was only decommissioned in 1907 by Edward V11  !!!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12693
    edited September 2022
    I'm in agreement; however, it was inevitable given the momentous nature of the event for the UK and many of its citizens.  The one that totally switched me off however was Diana's death and funeral.  Hardly a significant event in many ways (certainly not for me) and I regard it as the catalyst for the mawkish and disproportionate displays of 'grief' that have become commonplace in the intervening 25 years.

Back to today and I've had enough of both the coverage, and the deference and obsequious toadying that has accompanied it.  But I get the significance.

Watching the bizarre procession of people accompanying the Queen's coffin in Scotland.  For some reason, everyone has been told to walk in a manner which suggests they've all shat themselves.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5261
    edited September 2022
    I woke up yesterday, and turned on the tv whilst having breakfast. They were covering the drive to Edinburgh and I watched a bit, mostly because they just happened to be at Aboyne at the time, and were talking about Banchory as well so this grabbed my attention. I went out and came back a few hours later to find they were still following an aerial shot of the convoy. Not saying they were struggling but one commentator did mention that his marmalade said it was made in both Dundee and Croydon
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    edited September 2022
    Reverend said:
    I woke up yesterday, and turned on the tv whilst having breakfast. They were covering the drive to Edinburgh and I watched a bit, mostly because they just happened to be at Aboyne at the time, and were talking about Banchory as well so this grabbed my attention. I went out and came back a few hours later to find they were still following an aerial shot of the convoy. Not saying they were struggling but one commentator did mention that his marmalade said it was made in both Dundee and Croydon
    Perhaps they should have drafted in Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin as they used to do great Tour De France coverage - they are experts at talking about castles, aerial footage and suchlike.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Reverend said:
    Any extended coverage about the royals I just break into a terrible Terry Devlin impression from Armstrong and Miller. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ... catching bits on the radio, expect transport in and out of London to be a complete mare over the long weekend. More people in London a week today than at any other point in history. So, good luck with all that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • People being arrested and charged for simply holding up a placard... scary stuff
  • ... catching bits on the radio, expect transport in and out of London to be a complete mare over the long weekend. More people in London a week today than at any other point in history. So, good luck with all that. 
    It’ll be like that time I was in Brum one evening and Michael Buble was on at the NIA.
    Never seen so many blue rinses.