Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_Fab said:
    A medical professional ?

Can I PM you a photo of something I'm concerned about?

=)

Xx 
    Please do! 
    Be careful, its probably a car.
    Classic :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1253
    Sporky said:
    m_c said:

How would you feel if somebody started shouting abuse at you during your mum's funeral?

I'm all for free speech, but there are limits.
    No-one did, so it's hard to say. I think the guy's a knobber. I don't think giving someone a beating because you don't like what they say is on.

If we're going hypothetical, what if they shrug it off and hospitalise you? What if the crowd turn on you and beat you to a pulp? Who's right then?
    You do like a strawman argument, but getting back to the actual incident, having seen a couple clips of it, somebody grabbed him from behind, and dumped him on to the ground. And given the very swift way he was grounded, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a plain officer who did it.

But to play with your hypothetical scenarios, the police arresting him could have been as much for his protection, as anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19632
    Rebar said:
    Shocking news if true.
    That would make it an almost literally a 'good day to bury bad news' scenario.

Imagine how people would react if the Clarence House staff worked for, oh, I don't know, let's see...  P&O?

• Brize said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/center-parcs-closes-uk-resorts-queen-funeral

You may think this is super thoughtful or completely ridiculous. I’m just a bit gobsmacked. 
    Evidence, if any were needed, that corporations can make completely brainless decisions in their haste to virtue-signal.
    Apparently done a U turn. What an amazingly badly thought through decision. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Emp_Fab said:
    No no no no no....  We are talking at cross purposes.  I didn't mean anyone directly heckling the mourners.  I meant heckling the deceased IF the deceased was a murderer or a child abuser.  i.e. it's ok to heckle the dead killer or nonce, but not ok if the deceased is someone who isn't a murderer or nonce.  Respecting families rights to say goodbye in peace is a privilege of mourners of non-killers or nonces.  If you are a family member of a convicted murderer or child abuser then.....  sorry, you have to realise that people will be angry at what your relative has done and if you turn up to say fond farewells and get offended by people protesting....  tough.
    What's the point of heckling a deceased murderer or sex offender?
    They're not gonna hear you or care.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    m_c said:
    Sporky said:
    DrCornelius said:

Honestly if I was next to him I would have thumped him and not lost a minutes sleep over it 
    You'd actually physically attack someone for saying something you didn't like? 
    How would you feel if somebody started shouting abuse at you during your mum's funeral?

I'm all for free speech, but there are limits.
    this.  

QED
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Rebar said:
    Can't say I'm surprised. Just shows how much the monarchy think of their loyal subjects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    Sassafras said:
    Rebar said:
    Can't say I'm surprised. Just shows how much the monarchy think of their loyal subjects.
    yeah Im sure Charles has been planning that personally over the last few days.............................. top of his agenda I suspect,
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    bertie said:
    Sassafras said:
    Rebar said:
    yeah Im sure Charles has been planning that personally over the last few days.............................. top of his agenda I suspect,
    @bertie I think it's fair to say he's had a quite a few other things on his mind. However, he's bound to have known about this and - as the boss - have agreed to it. They could have at least waited until after the Queen's funeral to do this. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9672
    Rebar said:
    Shocking news if true.

Imagine how people would react if the Clarence House staff worked for, oh, I don't know, let's see...  P&O?

This is how little people know about the monarchy. This is standard practice and the Queen’s staff will also have lost their jobs, literally at the minute the Queen died. It happened when the Queen’s Dad died
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19632
    chris78 said:
    Rebar said:
    Shocking news if true.

This is how little people know about the monarchy. This is standard practice and the Queen’s staff will also have lost their jobs, literally at the minute the Queen died. It happened when the Queen’s Dad died
    I genuinely don't care enough about them to have known this ever happened & was 'normal'.

Have these 'royals' never heard of recognition of 'loyalty'  "devotion to duty' or 'service'??
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29305
    m_c said:

You do like a strawman argument, but getting back to the actual incident, having seen a couple clips of it, somebody grabbed him from behind, and dumped him on to the ground. And given the very swift way he was grounded, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a plain officer who did it.

No, I like mocking silly hypotheticals and calls to emotion.

Back to the incident, it wasn't one of her kids that did it, so not a straight comparison with "what if it was your mum's funeral". Also none of my mum's kids are sex offenders, and we didn't parade down the street for her funeral.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29305
    chris78 said:
    It's still a shitty way to treat employees. That it may be "standard practice" for them doesn't make it less insensitive. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    chris78 said:
    It's still a shitty way to treat employees. That it may be "standard practice" for them doesn't make it less insensitive. 
    It also presumably shows that no progress in that area has been made in 70 years
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    Apparantly Centre Parcs told all their holiday goers to go home in the middle of their holiday in respect of the Queen. They've backtracked now but isn't, and the above this just virtue signalling to the extreme? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62893476 ;
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32126
    I'm actually quite encouraged that some of the dissent and the ludicrousness of some of the "respect" measures are being reported.

Some of us have been dreading the coverage of the Queen's demise for years given what we all went through with Saint Diana, but I think having Prince Phillip as a dry run made the media have a bit of a rethink. 

There have been normally scheduled programmes and even comedy shows on some channels all the way through, which I never thought would happen tbh.

Although we all like a good laugh at those head cases queuing for 50 hours and having to shit in their hats just so they can wave at a coffin it's actually been fairly easy to avoid the whole thing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    The queue for the lying in state will probably go past my office. It's a fairly narrow street, so the likelihood is that a lot of people trying to get to work or go about their business will find these funeral tourists getting in their way. Should be interesting, especially with the runners who think that everyone must get out of their way and aren't quiet with that opinion. 
  • chris78 said:
    Rebar said:
    Shocking news if true.

As many will be "live in" staff, they may have lost homes as well as jobs.  

They should not be employed directly by the monarch but centrally by the overarching Royal Estates so that continuity can be maintained.  Even if some restructuring was required in the aftermath it should have waited till after the funeral.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom