Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    Sporky said:
    DrCornelius said:

Honestly if I was next to him I would have thumped him and not lost a minutes sleep over it 
    You'd actually physically attack someone for saying something you didn't like? 
    Once again this is far beyond that - it’s the queens funeral FFS and he’s disrupting it because he wants to exercise his right to free speech and doesn’t give a shit about everyone else paying their respects 
    I'm with you.  I'd have felt like lamping the twat as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    Offset said:
    Sporky said:
    DrCornelius said:

Honestly if I was next to him I would have thumped him and not lost a minutes sleep over it 
    You'd actually physically attack someone for saying something you didn't like? 
    Once again this is far beyond that - it’s the queens funeral FFS and he’s disrupting it because he wants to exercise his right to free speech and doesn’t give a shit about everyone else paying their respects 
    I'm with you.  I'd have felt like lamping the twat as well.
    I think that's understandable, but by that token we also have to accept that the police not only should be within their rights to arrest you for assault, but that they should be duty bound to do so. We can't go around lumping people just cos they upset us or because they are a bit rude (the judge was most clear on that!!!).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2022
    Let's see.  So far in this short discussion we have had potentially legally questionable libellous statements "Andrew is an unpleasant sweaty nonce, but even sweaty nonces should be allowed to mourn their mothers."
    Prince Andrew has not been legally convicted of any offence (I know how I feel about him, but like everything else, it is just an opinion, not a fact).

Something is only libelous if it is untruthful or an opinion which is not honestly held.  Paying someone £12m in order to avoid court tends to suggest both counters would prove a successful defence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Has something happened to the Queen? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
    Although the timing of announcements wasn't great, I don't see why the outrage about redundancies from Clarence house. If the job is no longer required they can't just keep people on as charity. Nobody wants to get made redundant but it's a fact of life. I've had it twice.

[actually some people do want to get made redundant!] 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited September 2022
    I don't know anything about these things but I wouldn't imagine these people not knowing exactly what would be happening and I don't think they'll be kicked out and left destitute. Pretty sure they'll be well looked after.

I could be wrong. 
    Apparantly Centre Parcs told all their holiday goers to go home in the middle of their holiday in respect of the Queen. They've backtracked now but isn't, and the above this just virtue signalling to the extreme? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62893476 ;
    For fuck's sake!  It would be funny if it wasn't so utterly pathetic!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29305
    I'm not sure I follow the connection between "being respectful" , and starting a punch-up at a funeral procession. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    I'm not sure I follow the connection between "being respectful" , and starting a punch-up at a funeral procession. 
    In reality, I think the urge to lamp said individual would probably have translated into fairly robust remonstrations.  But it wouldn't have gone unchallenged, as two other members of the public (assuming that's what they were) proved.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5261
    Offset said:
    Let's see.  So far in this short discussion we have had potentially legally questionable libellous statements "Andrew is an unpleasant sweaty nonce, but even sweaty nonces should be allowed to mourn their mothers."
    Prince Andrew has not been legally convicted of any offence (I know how I feel about him, but like everything else, it is just an opinion, not a fact).

Something is only libelous if it is untruthful or an opinion which is not honestly held.  Paying someone £12m in order to avoid court tends to suggest both counters would prove a successful defence.
    My understanding is that truth is not always a valid defense in such cases
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    On another note .....
    There seems something a bit grotesque and misplaced by effectively sending the coffin on tour complete with the entourage and motor cavalcades to lie in State in various different locations.
    I fully understand the throngs lining the route of the actual funeral procession together with might and spectacle ,sombre though it will be .It is Historical but all the shlepping around is a bit needless and probably detracts from the main event.
    Just newsfeed fodder and time to interview Jane from a small village in Devon and her Aunty Betty about why they walked 5000 miles and spent the night in the rain .
    If I was the Queen I would have planned something more interesting ;there must be some Viking blood somewhere in that provenance .........why not a Magnificent Gilded Longship set afire and gently cable hauled along the entire length of the Thames timed to gently slip beneath the waves as it finally emerges into the Thames Estuary making Southend a place of virtuous Pilgrimage for the masses........what better way to mark it becoming a city and also poignantly reminiscent of her Jubilee Barge Trip .
    Starting off from Hampton Court seat of the Tudors people could line the banks of the River on both sides all the way to Southend and fittingly all foreign dignitaries could have a seat on the appropriately named QE11 bridge.
    I should have been Master of Pageantry.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19632
    Dominic said:
    On another note .....
    There seems something a bit grotesque and misplaced by effectively sending the coffin on tour complete with the entourage and motor cavalcades to lie in State in various different locations.
    I fully understand the throngs lining the route of the actual funeral procession together with might and spectacle ,sombre though it will be .It is Historical but all the shlepping around is a bit needless and probably detracts from the main event.
    Just newsfeed fodder and time to interview Jane from a small village in Devon and her Aunty Betty about why they walked 5000 miles and spent the night in the rain .
    If I was the Queen I would have planned something more interesting ;there must be some Viking blood somewhere in that provenance .........why not a Magnificent Gilded Longship set afire and gently cable hauled along the entire length of the Thames timed to gently slip beneath the waves as it finally emerges into the Thames Estuary making Southend a place of virtuous Pilgrimage for the masses........what better way to mark it becoming a city and also poignantly reminiscent of her Jubilee Barge Trip .
    Starting off from Hampton Court seat of the Tudors people could line the banks of the River on both sides all the way to Southend and fittingly all foreign dignitaries could have a seat on the appropriately named QE11 bridge.
    I should have been Master of Pageantry.

Sounds great apart from you missed out the bit where the serving Government accompanied the Queen on her flaming vessel. A bit like Suttee only less pointless  ;)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5261
    I just noticed they reckon the queue could up to 30 hours at its busiest.
    Reverend said:
    You'd have to be a pretty ardent monarchist to stand in that particular line.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5641
    Has something happened to the Queen? 
    No, she's fine and accompanying the King as he fulfils his constitutional duties.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8222
    Offset said:
    Reverend said:
    You'd have to be a pretty ardent monarchist flag-sh*gging, swivel-eyed, sh*tting-in-a-hat lunatic to stand in that particular line.
    FTFY.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    is the h*t shitting compulsory? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10413
    Hat? 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8222
    VimFuego said:
    I don't know your personal digestion habits but if you go 31 hours between stool drops, you'll be fine.
    Otherwise, take two hats - one for wearing on your head.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    VimFuego said:
    I don't know your personal digestion habits but if you go 31 hours between stool drops, you'll be fine.
    Otherwise, take two hats - one for wearing on your head.
    two hats? I know it's a formal occasion, but wow!!!