Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9671
    edited September 2022
    Gandalph said:
    Way more important in that article is the mention of the Monarch of the day having advance sight of any legislation that may affect their own personal wealth so they can influence policy and often gain exemptions.

For anyone who claims the Monarch is just a figurehead with no power in modern society…..:.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4420
    I’m really enjoying the coverage of the queue. 

I can see why it’s important. 

Some wonderful anecdotes and interesting chats with random people. 

It apparently took Susanna Reed (GMTV presenter) 7.5 hours to get to the front. Time well spent. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7459
    "I'm gonna stay home and watch the full thing Monday. When will I ever get chance again?"

Dunno, will it be on iplayer? YouTube? I didn't get to go to my relatives funeral during lockdown but that was on YouTube so I'm sure the Queen will be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12477
    People are fucking stupid. There are ongoing problems in this planet that actually affect us and our children, but what inspires the great British public to take to the streets, get off their collective arses and use their time and resources? This fucking pile of wank. Disgraceful.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    People are fucking stupid. There are ongoing problems in this planet that actually affect us and our children, but what inspires the great British public to take to the streets, get off their collective arses and use their time and resources? This fucking pile of wank. Disgraceful.
    If people want to do it then OK, but when put into some sort of context it starts to look a bit silly.

Alright, very silly.

OK, bloody ridiculous...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12550
    edited September 2022
    More barrel scraping on Beeb news this morning… an item on a corn maze that’s been named after the queen. Well whoop-de-fucking-doo. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    Offset said:
    If people want to do it then OK, but when put into some sort of context it starts to look a bit silly.

Alright, very silly.

OK, bloody ridiculous...
    What are people queuing for eight hours to see? I assume its just a coffin shaped object draped in a flag, not the queens actual coffin with a body inside?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8222
    Started out quite respectful this thread, didn't it...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    Hattigol said:
    Started out quite respectful this thread, didn't it...
    Yep, but I think most people are suffering from deference fatigue and boredom by now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    Certainly some funereal overload ........seems to erode the significance
    Many will be glad when it's all over
    THEN ........The Coronation !
  • Dominic said:
    He should have it on Christmas Day like William the Conqueror. Most people off work watching TV anyway. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    Dominic said:
    He should have it on Christmas Day like William the Conqueror. Most people off work watching TV anyway. 
    Xmas day is a Sunday this year..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5716
    edited September 2022
    The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) has sent 26 staff members to the UK to cover the funeral. What a bloody disgrace, and a shocking waste of public money when they could just as easily run a few clips borrowed from any of the many other stations covering it - or just bloody ignore  it - it's not as if it will ever make any difference to anybody, especially not here on the other side of the world. What is this? 1901 and Edward VII taking over from Queen Victoria? FFS.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    mrkb said:
    Dominic said:
    It will probably be next year, maybe May or June, for tourism reasons. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6211
    Brize said:
    I have nothing against people who choose to pay their respects to the Queen at this time, but at the same time I have to admit I just don’t get it.
    I wouldn't queue for half an hour for anything, let alone three hours plus or whatever it is. That said, the BBC stream of the lying in state is awe-inspiring in its solemnity.
    There's something about the four soldiers standing, heads bowed at the corners of the dais that is very moving. Ceremony is one thing that we Brits manage to excel at. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5261
    mrkb said:
    Dominic said:
    so two roast dinners in one day?

result.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29305
    Ah, yes, "moving".

Ordinary people having to choose between heating or eating, and the state spaffs millions on a funeral for a rich woman whose estate isn't even paying inheritance tax.

Frightfully disrespectful, of course, to interrupt the official message that the country's insanely rich must be worshipped and helped out. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7288
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    There's something about the four soldiers standing, heads bowed at the corners of the dais that is very moving. Ceremony is one thing that we Brits manage to excel at. 
    That's what I thought after watching the Channel 4 reporter do the queue last night.  Household Cavalry I think?
    (I'm another republican)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29305
    Not bad, but expensive, and a bit late to set that up.

I think it'd be more efficient to hang the box from a Chinook (via a fancy gold chain) and fly it over major population centres. Also has the advantage that you can instance it - 20 Chinooks, each with a box, and leverage Schrodinger's monarch... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom